ipad texting

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by Mattie805, Mar 9, 2011.

1. Mattie805 macrumors newbie

i bought an ipad original today in the $100 price drop and love it. i would have gone ipad 2 but there is no retina so ill pass.

anyway, the number one feature that would almost triple the value of it to me would be the ability to answer texts i get from my iphone, on my ipad. its such a hassle if im walking around with it, to set it in a safe place and get my phone out of my pocket or backpack. is there anyway to do this? i will obviously jailbreak it if necessary.

2. tgcken macrumors member

If you're willing to change your number or pay $20 to have your current number transferred to google voice, the google voice app is amazing.

(google voice is amazing in general, and definitely worth while)

Basically what happens with google voice, is that when people text your Google Voice number, those text messages go to your google voice inbox. This inbox can be read from your computer or from the google voice app. You can also have these text messages forwarded to your real phone. From your real phone, you can reply or send text messages through your google voice number.

From the app, you text like normal. Google voice is free to set up, I highly recommend giving it a try. For now you'll need to use the iPhone App, which should work fine. There's also an app called talkatone which lets you make free US calls through you google voice number from your ipad/iphone over wifi or 3G.

I'm currently a college student, and I've used my ipod touch + google voice as my primary phone (we have wifi everywhere). The only time I use my real phone is when I don't have wifi, which has allowed me to drop from an expensive contract to roughly $12/month (1000texts for $10/m + roughly 20 minutes in non-wifi calling) for AT&T pay as you go.

It's a wonderful system if you ask me.

3. kettlecorn macrumors 6502

You don't have to pay for anything. Sign up for googlevoice, forward your mobile number to googlevoice account. Get a gvoice App and you can access your text and voicemail, calls, etc. What i started doing on my android phone is i got gvoice app, started using that as default. And an app called voice choice allows e to maintain a list of people who uses normal phone number.

4. tgcken macrumors member

Correct. If you want to keep your current number, however, you can pay $20 to have that number transferred to google voice. Otherwise you will have to manage two numbers (which is what I do) and the entire service is free.

The number I give out is my google voice number, which is connected to my actual cell phone number.

You'll still need talkatone (free app) to make and receive calls from your ipad, if that's something you're interested in, as the Google Voice app allow you do to do that.