iPad To Be Sold Through Verizon Retailers.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by newyorksole, Oct 14, 2010.

1. newyorksole macrumors 68030

2. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

3. blokey macrumors member

That Apple and Verizon can work together.

But yes, the product itself is pretty lame. (not the iPad or the hotspot, just the combination is not all-in-one)

Are we seeing VZ's new pricing plan, perhaps?

$20 1GB and (guessing) $30 3GB/5GB?

4. barkomatic macrumors 68040

The point is that this Verizon service is also month to month -- isn't that a first for Verizon's mobile data? They also have more data plan options like 3GB for $35 and if you go over they only charge you $10 for each 1GB. In many areas AT&T only had edge coverage so this is a great alternative. Also, I think AT&T makes you buy a whole new data plan once the original plan you bought runs out.

5. ndmx52 macrumors member

6. Diane B macrumors member

Here in our area AT&T coverage is not as good as Verizon's. Consequently we bought 2 wifi Ipads and use the mobile hot spot on the Verizon Palm Pre Plus if we need to connect when away from wifi (and I don't find many times I don't have wifi available closely if I want to connect to be truthful). When our contracts run out in 2 years (free mobile hot spot) and we upgrade Ipads I'm not sure what we will do. I suspect we will have more options than now. But--if I was buying right now and didn't have the mobile hotspot, I'd be tempted to go with a myfi instead of a 3G and deal with AT&T. It may be different in different parts of the country.

7. barkomatic macrumors 68040

According the the FAQ, it appears that you can only get the no-contract pricing if you buy the mifi and iPad together. Otherwise, you're stuck with a contract plan.

8. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Some people are already doing this. This product combo is weak. V mobile hotspot will offer like 3-4 hours of battery life at best. No gps on wifi model is another lame point.
    I don't see how exclusivity has ended with AT&T. I will stick with my wi-fi iPad for now. Might as well as do this with sprint too, apple.

9. barkomatic macrumors 68040

This deal is a good sign at least. I'm hoping with the next iPad we'll have a choice of *built in* AT&T or Verizon service. Even better would be if both were built in within one device and you could choose which carrier you wanted based upon your current location.

10. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

seems to me it is just an indication that Verizon will get the iPhone, I mean if they are in agreement to terms on the ipad, why not the iPhone.

11. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Verizon mi-fi is a stupid idea. I would love to see if any idiot would even consider buying this...
    Mi-fi gets 3-4 hours of battery life at single charge. IPad goes for 10-11 hours of battery life. So.... Let's see how many of these they sell at Verizon. Apple needs to offer 3G/4G ipad with Verizon network.

12. heavensblade23 macrumors regular

The 3G iPad only gets 8.5 hours of battery life.

The point is to have competition, and and in case Verizon's 3G coverage is much, much better than AT&Ts. I've gotten 3G coverage on Verizon while passing tractors on the road, and while standing on a mesa on the side of a mountain in Colorado.

13. Syk macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't say a stupid idea. I plan on getting either an iPad2 or something next year and use my iP4 and MyWi for data instead of getting the 3G version.

The MiFi last 3-4 which is probably plenty unless you're going to be on a train for that long. Other wise you should be near someplace that you could charge the device back up.

I would say the down side is having to carry an additional device around.

14. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

The naysayers in this thread need to go look at other current threads, where...

The people who actually _have_ been using MiFi (or another carrier's equivalent) with an iPad have been quite pleased.

They like the speed, they like the smallness, and they like sharing the hotspot.

They're also happy with the WiFi based locating.

Bear in mind that only what, about 1/4 of iPads were sold with 3G+GPS? (My memory is fuzzy, please correct me.)

15. mikechan1234 macrumors 6502

Already happening in the UK but with 3

16. prot0type macrumors regular

I would be one of those people actually ;) I've been using a Sprint Overdrive and it works pretty well with my ipad. Friends and co workers seem to enjoy the hotspot action as well.

Personally, it may not appeal to some, but it's yet another place to obtain an ipad and I see nothing wrong with that. The more the merrier.

Already been done, sorta:

[​IMG]

http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/16/sprints-ipad-4g-case-features-an-overdrive-pocket-oodles-of/

17. davidlw macrumors 6502a

Why isn't Apple coming out with a 3G version of the iPad for Verizon. I own the 3G on AT&T but would like the same machine on Verizon whats up with that?

18. Glideslope Suspended

Glideslope

28%. :apple:

19. jmsy macrumors newbie

jmsy

How will we sign up for a verizon data plan?

With at&t we sign up on the ipad itself through the preferences. I wonder if the new osi 4 will offer a choice of at&t or verizon?

20. heavensblade23 macrumors regular

Give it time, this is a new business relationship.

21. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Yes, it is a stupid idea. 3-4 hours of battery life is just not enough for portable device. 5-6 hours would be a lot better. I want to watch movies and surf web.

22. gosabres1984 macrumors regular

This must be the first step in iPhone going to Verizon...

23. mgamber macrumors 6502a

mgamber

Amen, brother. AT&T sucks here. Sucks. The moment an iPhone becomes available on Verizon, I'm so gone. Meantime, I may ditch the 3G iPad and look into this. When these shortsighted naysayers start paying for my stuff I'll give a damn about their opinion. Until then, pound it, I'm super psyched to see light at the end of the tunnel!