iPad to get a camera?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mcmlxix, Oct 18, 2010.

1. mcmlxix macrumors 6502a

Have there been any reliable rumors as to when 2nd gen iPad is coming out and particularly if it will have an iSight camera?

I want to get one for my mom for Christmas. I think it would meet all of her computing needs...and then some. But I think she'd just wet herself if she could video chat with her grandkids. So I want to wait.

2. LouieSamman macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

It's more likely. If they don't Apple is going to get a lot of angry customers so I believe Apple will 100% put a camera on the next version of the iPad.

Wait it out.

3. HuggyLowDown macrumors regular

HuggyLowDown

Yes, in April or sometime around there Apple will release the next gen. iPad. Hopefully it'll have an iSight Camera. If not, then Apple is going to have trouble competing with other tablet like devices (i.e BlackBerry PlayBook).

4. mcmlxix thread starter macrumors 6502a

April :(

Yeah, their refresh cycles seem to be annual. I was just hoping they'd pull an upset and go sooner this time around. Of course that would just piss off the early adopters.

5. PhelpsiPhan macrumors 6502

PhelpsiPhan

Yeah i think it will be on a yearly cycle and a camera is all but guaranteed :)

6. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Personally I think there will be a refresh around Christmas.

7. My name is Alex macrumors regular

My name is Alex

Facetime on the iPad would be awesome and is pretty much guaranteed . Although hopefully the front facing camera is better quality than VGA. :apple:

8. melman101 macrumors 68030

I'm hoping Apple releases a dock connector for iPad original for a camera.

9. darngooddesign macrumors G3

At the very least it will have the same two cameras as the new iTouch does.

I doubt it, Apple doesn't make one for the 3GS.

10. melman101 macrumors 68030

Just because they don't make it for the iPhone doesn't mean they won't make it for the iPad. The iPad has the camera connection kit, while the iPhone does not. The iPad has the keyboard dock, while the iPhone does not. The iPhone and the iPad in that respect are two different products.

In my mind, it is completely plausible that they could make a webcam attachment for the dock connector.

11. darngooddesign macrumors G3

If anything is possible then Apple might include a Pony with each iPad2; however, if you realistically look at Apple's track record of not retrofitting previous devices with new features to drive sales of the new devices, they will not do this. To be specific, and less ridiculous than giving us a pony, Apple does not make a facetime camera kit for the previous gens on the iPhone or iPod touch. Obviously a FT kit would cannibalize sales of the the new phones and touches. Therefore, there is zero reason to believe that they will make one for the current iPads once iPad 2 gets cameras.

In my mind, your citing of the keyboard dock and camera kit don't really apply as they were not released for the new version of an existing product. You can also go back a bit and see that earlier MBP trackpads could support, through hacking, the newer multi touch gestures, but Apple chose not to provide this feature through a firmware update. And that wouldn't even require them to incur the costs associated with physically developing new hardware.

12. 7thMac macrumors 6502

Nope. Just fun speculation.

13. melman101 macrumors 68030

Well I somewhat agree with that. I think adding a 30-pin dock connector camera to an iPhone would be awkward to say the least. Especially since you can't hold the phone upside down and use it, unlike the iPad. Also, the iPad 2 is not out, so if they added the camera now, people would most likely buy it, and also buy an iPad 2 when that gets released. I can pretty much guarantee that.

Also, you believe that there is a refresh coming in December, however there is no evidence to support that either. Apple refreshes their iOS devices in yearly cycles if you want to base on previous iPhone / iPod Touch dealings.

So I guess we all have our own personal opinions. And yes, as unrealistic as a camera accessory would be, it's just as unrealistic as a refresh in December.

14. darngooddesign macrumors G3

It could be added as a case which would solve the orientation issue.

I believe there will be a soft refresh that will just add the camera now that ft works with email addresses. Its a feature they want to push and its in the interest of wide spread adoption to get it on all devices.

Yep, opinions are like a**holes, but I like the smell of both of mine. :D

15. melman101 macrumors 68030

:). Well, we will see. December is not too far off. I really doubt they'll be a refresh but we will see. I just think it'll be crazy to release the same hardware with a camera and then new hardware 3 months later. That is very unlike the iOS cycle. However, I've been wrong before for sure :)

16. MacVault macrumors 65816

17. spades1412 macrumors 6502

I can see a front facing camera for facetime, but who is going to run around taking pics with a 10" camera?

18. Buck987 macrumors 6502a

Just in time for retailers to juggle inventory at the busiest time fo the year.

Its being sold now by everyone.

Hence, I don't think so.

19. lokerd macrumors 6502a

lokerd

A iPad Camera would be AWESOME!!!

Well, as a matter of fact, Ansel Adams did. He used an 8x10 View Camera which is just about the largest camera out there.

And I would LOVE a camera on iPad. I want it really, really, really bad. Make it 8 mp and put a flash on it to match the droid and I believe Apple would have a home run.

As it is, I bought a iTouch 4 but took it back because 1) the camera sucked 2) using the iPod sucked compared to the iPad in the same murse.

If it was high enough res, it would serve as a real camera. But if it was at least a couple of MP, it would serve as least a snap shot of things like receipts, bills, products I am shopping for, ideas I run across out and about, people I bump into, etc, etc. There are many, many reasons to have a camera. The fact that it has such a large, beautiful screen is just awesome.

As it is, I regularly shoot on a camera, then connect via cck to view or show the images. It would be awesome to take them right there on the spot with the iPad imager, especially as document imager/scanner. That would be amazing. Shoot it, edit it, email it. WOW!

Since returning the Touch, I have been looking for the ideal Point & Shoot to put in my iPad bag to at least have something to go with the cck.

Any suggestions?

Oh, and no way for a Christmas refresh...ads, catalogs, etc. are already in the pipeline. Lie for example the first black Friday ads hit today...but those ads have been under development for a while. I think we would have heard a rumor before now if Christmas was gong to see a new model coming out.

20. PirateP macrumors 6502

PirateP

I don't care if it gets a camera or not. Apart from FaceTime, I can't imagine the need for one. I'm not going to use this thing as a camera because frankly, it would look completely idiotic. But hey, to each their own, right?

21. catherinm macrumors newbie

Sooner or later there will be a camera in iPad. The question is when. If Apple releases it before new year, the company will get good sales and its ratings will increase. If not, people will be disappointed, very disappointed. But as far as I know Apple hasn't made any official statement yet...