iPad to HDTV without AirPlay Or apple tv

Discussion in 'iPad' started by onthecouchagain, Mar 22, 2012.

1. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

So I'm somewhat of a newb at this but is there a way to stream or even use a wire to watch things on my HDTV from my iPad without having to purchase apple tv? Is there a cable I can just get ? Maybe a 30 pin cable to hdmi? Anything like that exist? Or in general is there another method? I'd love to watch HBO go for example on a larger screen.

Thanks.

2. digitalhen macrumors regular

Yes :) I see others have replied with the URL, but Google is faster.

3. Ariz macrumors member

The HBO app doesn't work with the hdmi adapter.

4. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

And AirPlay. That's why I'm canceling. I don't understand their restriction.

5. Buckeyestar macrumors 6502a

Buckeyestar

It's about to be added to the Xbox 360, so I'm good until they get around to adding it the Apple TV.

6. onthecouchagain thread starter macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

Wait what. Why? :(

----------

Wow thanks for the links guys. So basically have to get that and the hdmi to hdmi cable. Sweet.

Sucks to hear about HBO go though. That was my primary reason for asking about this. What the dill? :T

7. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

With HBO, you're stuck to the iPad screen. Only thing it transmit in AirPlay is the sound.

8. onepremiere macrumors regular

I am glad I found this thread. I set up my "man-center" in the garage this weekend, along with a brand new Samsung 26" LED.:D

I have a cable box from my provider hooked up, however I like the selection of the HBO and Max App. Bummed to find out that I can't use it with either Apple TV or even a Cable.

My other question is, can I buy a Ipad to HDMI cable and watch the movies I own from itunes? Or do I have to buy another ******* Apple TV?

Boom!

Attached Files:

9. xnickitynickx macrumors regular

xnickitynickx

That is sweet!! And yeah, just click any of the links already posted. You'll see it there

10. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I bet it's about licensing. HBO doesn't want you allowing a friend to sign into your account on an iPad and then using it as set top box to watch programming on their own TV without paying for their own subscription.

11. ljones macrumors regular

The next round of cable/service provider contract negotiations will be interesting. There were a number of stand offs last year due to disagreemets. There is a disruption taking place, change is certain, yet these companies will not let up on their main source of income... that subscription based on # of households, how long the network has been on air and strength of brand/content. Also, big networks leverage that strength to pull in better rates for other channels in their portfolio.

Subs == more money, but as more users turn off these services, they have to adapt to change. Logging in with your service provider creditials is a lazy an uninnovative solution to the problem. Convergence has been slowly taking place, too bad they prefer to not leverage this shift in user habits. I've worked with them, they think in the terms of how. Things have always worked, fearful of braking what they and fearful of this imminent change.

Ok rant over.o

12. whynotgotovegas macrumors member

DROOLING lol nice setup there :)

13. The Phazer macrumors 68030

No DRM.

14. mlmwalt macrumors 6502a

Well done, dude!!! That is next level!!!