iPad to iPhone Tethering

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by iphonewoman, Mar 15, 2010.

1. iphonewoman macrumors member

So the folks at Engadget sent Steve Jobs an email asking if you can tether your new iPad to the iPhone

Ämne: Re: Dear mr. Jobs
    Från: Steve Jobs
    Datum: 5 mars 2010 17.01.29 CET
    Till: Jezper Söderlund <>
    Return-Path:

No.

Sent from my iPhone.
    Well, that settles that.

Well Steve, Its still over 2 weeks before the iPad Launches and we already have a solution :)

Very Simple really here is what you need.

1. First you will need a jailbroken iPhone, check jailbreakmatrix.com on howto jailbreak your device
    2. You will need to install the Rock Installer when you jailbreak
    3. Second head over to Rock Your Phone and sign up for a free account
    4. Install MyWi with Rock and start it up

Here you create your Wifi Name, Password and Encryption and then goto your iPad and join the Wifi Connection, No jailbreak no software no nothing required on the iPad

[​IMG][​IMG]

Steve says no, we say yes.

We are located in Canada and know that the iPad 3G is coming with micro Sims which you can't get here yet so don't waste that 6gb data plan you have, and lets put it to use. This way you can also grab it on April 3rd when it launches and don't have to wait for the iPad data plans to be released from the carriers.

2. Matthew9559 macrumors 6502a

Matthew9559

Nice! That was pretty quick considering it is not even out yet.

3. gwynne macrumors 68000

gwynne

4. flyguy206 macrumors 6502a

5. GadgetX macrumors regular

Why be mad when you can just jailbreak? I've had my phone jailbroken since OS 1.xx and will not update until a new jailbreak comes out. Definitely worth it IMO.

6. gwynne macrumors 68000

gwynne

No one in this thread actually seemed mad.

I do recommend educating yourself *now* about jailbreaking your iphone if you plan on using MyFi, though. It's crucial to be familiar with how jailbreaking works and also what your current firmware version is (if you've already updated to 3.1.3 you are out of luck for now).

7. M87 macrumors 65816

My experience with MyWi have been less than positive. Battery drain is terrible and once I couldn't get the tethering to turn off. It's not worth the hassle IMO.

8. iphonewoman thread starter macrumors member

JUst click it off ;)

I'm on 3.1.3 using it on the iPhone 3g
    u can jailbreak using redsnow

jailbreakmatrix.com

and turn off ur screen when tethering .. All tethering apps use lots of power each packet is going 3g -> iPhone -> wifi -> ipad that's y

9. fraggot macrumors 6502

sn0wbreeze & f0recast my friend

10. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

o rly?

[​IMG]

11. ugp macrumors 65816

ugp

This is why I did not buy a 3G iPad. I plan on tethering with my iPhone for data. It will actually give me a reason to Jailbreak my iPhone now.

12. Bodhi395 macrumors 6502a

I plan on using this, since its alot cheaper than using a 3g ipad, considering I'm already paying $30 a month for my iphone data plan. Also, I can buy the wifi ipad sooner and not pay the extra for the 3g ipad.

I think Apple should make this an official app, but I think ATT would block it or Apple itself wouldn't like it since it would cut down on their ipad 3g sales.

For anyone that has it, how much battery life can you get while using it? Is it a dramatic decrease?

13. Lamonster macrumors regular

Lamonster

I was using MyFi on my 13" mbp in Daytona and it was working great for me. I was able to do a video chat with my mom on gmail and it was as smooth as a wired connection, if fact it was faster than the internet at the condo we were staying at.

I carry two spare batteries all the time and I have yet to run out of power using the MyFi on and off all day. I travel all over the country on my motorcycle or Spyder and for me this is the only way to fly. I'll still take my mbp with me on road trips but the ipad will be my first choice when I stop for fuel and check my email or websites. :apple:

[​IMG]

14. gwynne macrumors 68000

gwynne

I am going off of posts like this:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=9437632&postcount=5

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=9440047&postcount=6

I'm assuming most people looking to jailbreak for the iPad would be first-timers, and thus a) probably on 3.1.3 already, b) have none of these backups being referred to.

There's a lot of conflicting info, I guess--which is why I said above that people should start educating themselves now. (And I'm obviously only marginally informed myself.)

15. gwynne macrumors 68000

gwynne

I've been digging into this more and it looks like there are a lot of scams running:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=878090

Basically, if a site offers to jailbreak your 3.1.3 firmware, and you find yourself clicking through a lot of pages and then being asked for money, it sounds like you're probably about to get ripped off.

*still mostly ignorant*

16. T4R06 macrumors 65816

now i think im going to buy iMaxpower! IMP500 for my iPhone

17. GadgetX macrumors regular

Its only a matter of time before the most recent iPhone firmware will be jailbroken completely. I've been watching the jailbreak war for years now and it has been an interesting game of cat and mouse between apple and devs. Supposedly a nontethered jailbreak has been developed for more recent firmwares but dev's are waiting until 4.0 to release any details so apple can't patch it. :cool:

18. Lamonster macrumors regular

Lamonster

I have the Power Slider by incase (guess they don't make these anymore) and I carry a Primo as my backup batteries.

19. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

cause att isnt the only carrier and all ipads around the world cant?

also it is apples fault. att doesnt make the ipad so how is it their fault?