iPad touch interface for Garageband/Logic

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Knot ewe, Mar 17, 2010.

1. Knot ewe macrumors newbie

I have looked around and have read a few comments about porting garageband to iPad, but that seems pointless to me. What I would like is an app that turns the ipad into a touch interface for Garageband/Logic or even Final Cut and iMovie. I have wanted an audio interface with progamable sliders etc. for a while but can't justify the money. If you could sync the ipad via wifi and use it as a wireless remote and still have your mac do the heavy lifting for amp modeling and effects i would be all over it. My favorite app is remote, the ability to control my stereo from anywhere in the house makes smile everytime. I have seen the remote for garageband app something like that on steroids would be fun and useful. I hope someone is working on this already.

I have worked with computer controlled machines using a touch screen and the advantage is having a way to control multiple, even unrelated, items from a centeral point without having a million buttons. You have the ones you need for what you are doing and all others are just a touch away. The potential for the iPad to be a wireless portable control device for almost anything is huge.

2. cRuNcHiE macrumors 6502a

ive thought about this idea too, but an easy way to do it already is just with Screen sharing enabled and a VNC client.

Jaadu vnc ( now called iTeleport) is the best client ive used so far. But this would only let you adjust one fader at a time i believe. I'm not sure how they could port an interface when there are so many vst plugins etc that would need their interface shown on the ipad?

EDIT:
    I just spotted TRIX MIX which looks like it might do what you want?

3. Knot ewe thread starter macrumors newbie

That's neat but, not quite what I had in mind. Instead of screen mirroring I want the ipad to look like a sound mixing board. Somthing like the M-audio ProjectMix I/O without the audio interface just the control surface and i can use my existing audio interface. The mac would display garageband as usual and the ipad would have play/stop/record buttons faders, jog controls, buttons to enable recording muting of individual tracks. vs having to use the mouse and pointer to move around the screen and click on stuff you just push the virtual record button on the iPad and away you go. I am not to versed on the tech side of things lag may be an issue while recording and adjusting levels while mixing. Using the dock connector through usb could work but not as cool as a wireless setup though

4. EssentialParado macrumors 65816

I think with the iPad's 1GHz CPU I'm thinking you'd be able to do some semi-decent production on it directly. That's what I'd like: a stripped down Garageband app that I can use on the road. Then, as the iPad gets more powerful over time, it will probably rival computer music production, as well as video editing and graphic design. A touchscreen interface just makes these things so much easier and more direct.

But I'm sure someone, maybe a 3rd party, will create a remote app for controlling Garageband or Logic. I've seen someone who created one on the iPhone for ProTools: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGUGgcoQ09A - so it's definitely possible for Logic/Garageband too.

5. Knot ewe thread starter macrumors newbie

Thats what what I had in mind thanks. As for running garageband on an iPad it might work out for putting together basic backing tracks but i don't think it will handle live recording especially with any effects or amp modeling then buying new (non-existant) hardware to plug a guitar into it. You could use a VNC as posted before to run the full version garageband remotely and accomplish what a lite version of Garageband could. Having the ability to remote control any almost computer or program makes the iPad that much more attractive. I don't see why would you need os X or other cpu intensive program on a tablet if you can set up your own "cloud computer" with an existing desktop doing the heavy lifting, at least for my needs.

6. Seo macrumors regular

Right now there's an app called Pro Remote for sale on the App Store. It can control your Pro Tools rig through your WiFi network.

7. superoul macrumors newbie

8. jeffgtr macrumors regular

I am looking for the same thing for Logic and also something for my podxt. A configurable midi controller would be great.

9. KingPasta macrumors member

KingPasta