Ipad trouble on public enterprise wireless

gdaddy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 21, 2012
Maine
I am posting here because I haven't been able to find the answer anywhere else yet...
I support an enterprise wireless network. I utilize 98 Cisco 1242AG LAP's across my campuses, all controlled by 3 Cisco WLAN controllers governed by Cisco WCS. If I just shot over your head, I manage and make a change in WCS, and it flows out to all access points.

I push out multiple SSID's over the AP's, one being "public" which is VLAN's off and goes out a dedicated ISP connection. Every device I have touched can connect to public, except iPad's. I have touched an iPad once, for about 2 minutes, outside of work, but that's it. I'm getting reports about users who from here or there can't get to their webmail. My setup is not blocking anything, I have dense wireless coverage, why can't iPad's connect? I'm supporting A/G but not B or N.

The entire Apple thing is new to me, I've never had to support it, so I'm breaking new ground in personal development.

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010
I am posting here because I haven't been able to find the answer anywhere else yet...
I support an enterprise wireless network. I utilize 98 Cisco 1242AG LAP's across my campuses, all controlled by 3 Cisco WLAN controllers governed by Cisco WCS. If I just shot over your head, I manage and make a change in WCS, and it flows out to all access points.

I push out multiple SSID's over the AP's, one being "public" which is VLAN's off and goes out a dedicated ISP connection. Every device I have touched can connect to public, except iPad's. I have touched an iPad once, for about 2 minutes, outside of work, but that's it. I'm getting reports about users who from here or there can't get to their webmail. My setup is not blocking anything, I have dense wireless coverage, why can't iPad's connect? I'm supporting A/G but not B or N.

The entire Apple thing is new to me, I've never had to support it, so I'm breaking new ground in personal development.
Is this a completely open network? Our system has a web-based login for guest access.

gdaddy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 21, 2012
Maine
This is pretty spotty evidence. Sounds like you need to troubleshoot a bit more - they can't connect at all? Sometimes? Are these connection issues happening in a particular location (suggesting a coverage issue)?
It is very strange. It's very diffficult to troubleshoot as I do not have access to an iPad, and this is an open SSID for anyone to use. I have been able to connect to it with any other device, Macbook, a few different model latops, lenovo, dell, toshiba, xp, win 7, android phones, etc.

No particular location, its actually 3 locations where it's being reported about, and different users. All my locations have the same setup due to being pushed out by Cisco controllers.

----------

Is this a completely open network? Our system has a web-based login for guest access.
Yes, completely open network. No web-based login, that is disabled. So users can attach any wireless device and have un-inhibited access to internet.

JediMeister

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
Ask the users of the network what model/generation iPad and what iOS version they are running. The answers may shed light on further troubleshooting steps.

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010
It is very strange. It's very diffficult to troubleshoot as I do not have access to an iPad, and this is an open SSID for anyone to use. I have been able to connect to it with any other device, Macbook, a few different model latops, lenovo, dell, toshiba, xp, win 7, android phones, etc.

No particular location, its actually 3 locations where it's being reported about, and different users. All my locations have the same setup due to being pushed out by Cisco controllers.

----------

Yes, completely open network. No web-based login, that is disabled. So users can attach any wireless device and have un-inhibited access to internet.
Ours is a Cisco system also and we used the web-based login just to keep the riffraff out. Haven't tried without.