ipad turns itself on by itself?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Siciliano611, Sep 13, 2011.

1. Siciliano611 macrumors regular

I have had an ipad 2 for a little over a week now and noticed on 2 occasions, when i know for sure i turned it off, that it was on hours later....anyone else experienced this weird stuff?

2. seajay96 macrumors 6502

how are you turning it off? if you are just tapping the top button, you're really just putting the iPad to sleep. To turn it off, you need to press and hold the top button until you get a slider on the screen that says "slide to power off"

what are you observing when you see it turned on? is there a notification window showing?

do you have a smart cover?

EDIT: There is no real need to turn the iPad all the way off everytime, it was designed to be put to sleep rather than shut completely off

3. Siciliano611 thread starter macrumors regular

No I am 100% sure I turn it off by holding the top button and sliding my finger on the top of the screen to turn off......i DO have a smart cover though...does that have ANYTHING to do with it?

4. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

Not doubting your story. (Nothing would surprise me.) But here's some similar, though not identical, behavior that may help you diagnose the issue. Shortly after getting my iPad and the bluetooth Apple Wireless Keyboard I experienced several instances of packing the two in my (tight fitting) Travel Express case from Waterfield Designs and having the iPad begin to play music from the iPod app on the iPad. (I hadn't even been using the app.) SmartCover over the iPad and (as I recall) the iPad not powered off.

I finally figured out that I had left the keyboard on and had somehow pressed a key (through the case) that activated the iPad (despite the fact that it was "sleeping.") Once I made sure I turned the keyboard off before putting it in the case I haven't had the problem.

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

You do NOT have to turn off an iPad.

Just use it as intended, with smart cover controlling display sleep.

In rare cases, if you move smart cover enough in a bag it'll turn on the screen.

6. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

Not sure if you were directing that comment to my post, but just to clarify, I found that turning off the bluetooth keyboard, not the iPad, solved the problem.

In fact, I just checked and found that if I put the iPad to sleep with the smart cover while a note taking app (Noteability) is active, I can continue to type on the bluetooth keyboard and the keystrokes are recognized by the app and entered on the screen.

The problem does not exist if only the virtual keyboard is being used. Putting the iPad to sleep puts the onscreen keyboard to sleep, as well. But if a bluetooth keyboard is being used, the iPad even in sleep mode continues to accept keystrokes.

7. angusslo macrumors regular

angusslo

Turning iPad completley off just doesn't seem like an idea common sense would provide, it's unnecessary.

8. taipan61 macrumors 6502

i found this out when my ipad would begin playing music while in the bag, took a minute or two until i noticed that my Apple Keyboard was still on and a button got hit and viola! music!
    turned the keyboard off and issue went away, this is also why i got rid of the smart cover, it would come on when in the bag and cover got knocked around

9. jsh1120, Sep 13, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2011

jsh1120 macrumors 65816

Haven't had a problem with the SmartCover waking up the iPad but I'll take your word (and others') for it. I use two bags when I carry the iPad. Each has a dedicated pocket that isolates the iPad from the other stuff in the bag and holds it pretty securely. That's probably why I haven't had that problem.

But the bluetooth keyboard problem is very real. And I'm happy to see someone else who was unexpectedly serenaded by their iPad. Once I was able to diagnose the problem, I've always been VERY careful to turn off the keyboard when I pack it.

None of this, of course, is exactly on point for the OP's problem. I'm still mystified as to how the iPad could be accepting input if it is truly turned off.

10. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Was responding to OP. I typically have bluetooth off.

I don't have the screen-on movements anymore with magnet hinge side on the bottom of my bag.

11. seajay96 macrumors 6502

not doubting you, but if your iPad is working as designed, there is very little chance that this is possible. if it is happening, there is something wrong and you should take it to Apple for repair/replace.

12. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22