iPad UK 3G datablocks?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by aoaaron, Mar 5, 2012.

1. aoaaron macrumors 6502

So I'm thinking of buying an iPad 3G 3 model... but i dont think I will use 3G a lot. I'm sure I will use it sometimes. I'd say 2x a month travelling etc., 2x a week in hospital..

however, im not fond on paying 15/month. Is there a plan available so I can buy in blocks? e.g.buy 2GB then it never expires?

2. DenisAuermann macrumors regular

DenisAuermann

Hmm

I have a couple of friends in the UK, they usually tether their phones so they can get the iPad connected. Another option is to get a mini SIM card with internet access and put it in the iPad whenever you need it.

I really don't think there is an actual way for a carrier to provide the service you're requesting since it won't generate profit for them. It would be awesome for the users tough :)

3. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4s: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

No u can buy a Pre paid 3 mobile sim off eBay that gives u 'x' amount for 12 months. Or use an O2 sim u can do a daily one off top up or monthly top ups with no ties

4. IusedtobeaPC macrumors newbie

Get yourself a free sim from GiffGaff and (after you've chopped it down) use their no commitment gigabags.

Works on the 02 network, so coverage is great too.

5. yegon macrumors 68020

6. Zcott macrumors 68020

Bump for the eBay 3SIMs, they're great.

Or if you're on 3 on your phone you should get free tethering.

7. davys macrumors regular

I'm a complete noob at this, so be patient with me, but I will be getting the iPad 3 at the end of the month hopefully. I was going to pay for the 3G version since I'll be looking and responding to work emails during my hour long commute each morning & evening. Does tethering operate from the iPhone by simply activating the 'Personal Hotspot' function within the settings function of the iPhone?

I'm already on the 3 network so this seems too good to be true. I'll also look at the ebay sim options mentioned above so thanks for the heads up everyone!

8. Guacamole macrumors regular

I thought that was only for the Iphone. Won't they find out is being used on an Ipad only ?

9. yegon macrumors 68020

It is in theory iphone only, but I've been using it successfully for over a year now (onto my second sim now). Only thing I'm careful of is not to exceed 500mb in a month.

10. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

Just get a pay as you go micro sim, and top it up as you go.

I recommend you go with "3", that is who I have an iPad contract with and their coverage is next to none. I travel all over the UK and most places have a good 3G connection. Beats Vodafone and Orange hands down.

11. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4s: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

If you were going to do that you would only need the wifi model as tethering is done over Bluetooth.

12. Zcott macrumors 68020

Not quite true. If you have an iPhone 4 or 4S you can tether over wifi or bluetooth. For the 3GS, it's bluetooth only.

And yes, it's as simple as that!

13. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Wish there was a way of buying non-expiring data in the USA

Not happening here!

14. Guacamole macrumors regular

I've used it for the Iphone when I first got my phone, I have never exceed the 500mb, so that won't be a problem.

I was wondering about registration of the sim and set up, I wouldn't have to put it on the iphone first , right?

15. Loopy65 macrumors 6502a

Loopy65

Pre-paid sim from 3 (best coverage for me all over the UK)

I buy my sim cards from amazon. 3GB card costs £12. It lasts for 3 months or until you use the 3GB, whichever happens first. Also, It doesn't start until you pop it into the iPad. I usually manage a week or more between cards too as I'm in wi-fi areas way more than the need for 3G. I still love having the 3G option and sometimes our wi-fi is so rubbish I use the 3G anyways!!
    :)

16. aoaaron thread starter macrumors 6502

can someone link me to these 3GB cards? cant find them...

the 500mb/month for £10 looks amazing!!

with itunes match et al tho, not sure if i need a bit more or not.

any other good deals pleaaaase? also do any of these badboys offer 4G?

17. LJ50 macrumors member

I've used this one for the past year or so. 3 months, 3GB and the price fluctuates between £11 and £13.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004B71ZH0/ref=oh_o04_s00_i00_details