Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Balloonless

macrumors member
Original poster
May 29, 2008
So, we don't get it here until the end of April, with the bookstore not being available to us until 'later in the year'

Not even bothered to give us a realease date.

Prices for the uk will be (wifi models)

16gb - £499
32gb - £599
64gb - £699

I don't think I'll bother now, I'll look at the kindle or the new Archos unit.

Bentron

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
Can I ask where you got your these prices? Have you made them up or got them from somewhere else? I'm not saying they're wrong, not saying they're right I'm just wondering why you think they are that price.

Balloonless

macrumors member
Original poster
May 29, 2008
Can I ask where you got your these prices? Have you made them up or got them from somewhere else? I'm not saying they're wrong, not saying they're right I'm just wondering why you think they are that price.

They have been rumoured for a while, and play.com put the prices up and took them down an hour later.

Sparced

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2007
Supposedly Play.com had those prices up yesterday or the day before. I don't believe $499 equals £499. Not a chance that's happening.

They're more likely to be £389, £439 and £489 as Geeky Gdgets reported.

Bentron

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
Well I guess it depends where you go. The exchange rate at the moment isn't good for us, at all! So the price could decrease or increase dependent on that. I think it's a good thing in a way, it gives the £ a chance to bounce back against the $ (or keep going down, it will probably keep going down..).

As for Play.com, I really don't think they are the prime source for Apple's cutting edge tech. If there are the low-ish supplies that have been rumoured then they wouldn't get the first batch.

Bentron

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
Supposedly Play.com had those prices up yesterday or the day before. I don't believe $499 equals £499. Not a chance that's happening.

They're more likely to be £389, £439 and £489 as Geeky Gdgets reported.

See that was what I thought, but then I've just read this:

http://www.macworld.co.uk/mac/news/index.cfm?newsid=3214362&pagtype=allchandate

It basically says due to the weakening of the £ the base model has gone up from their original prediction of £389 to around £417.

Balloonless

macrumors member
Original poster
May 29, 2008
Well I guess it depends where you go. The exchange rate at the moment isn't good for us, at all! So the price could decrease or increase dependent on that. I think it's a good thing in a way, it gives the £ a chance to bounce back against the $ (or keep going down, it will probably keep going down..).

As for Play.com, I really don't think they are the prime source for Apple's cutting edge tech. If there are the low-ish supplies that have been rumoured then they wouldn't get the first batch.

I won't be getting one now, going on holiday on the 10th April, I planned to have the ipad up and running with a few books on it.

Those prices are a joke, and no bookstore until later in the year for uk users?

Lol, joke of a product launch.

Bentron

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
I planned to have the ipad up and running with a few books on it.

Those prices are a joke, and no bookstore until later in the year for uk users?

Well I think you could get away with that one a bit:

http://www.waterstones.com/waterstonesweb/browse/ebooks/4294964587/

I assume the iBooks app will be usable, you just won't be able to flip it around, no matter how much you try! I agree it is a bit naff that it isn't up and running from day one, but there are ways around it.

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
All the prices that have been appearing are purely speculative. Let's wait till Apple themselves announces the prices, they say the want to price the iPad as competitively as possible to compete with the netbook market. If it's going to be a success in the UK then prices need to be lower than mentioned above, and Apple will know this.

Balloonless

macrumors member
Original poster
May 29, 2008
All the prices that have been appearing are purely speculative. Let's wait till Apple themselves announces the prices, they say the want to price the iPad as competitively as possible to compete with the netbook market. If it's going to be a success in the UK then prices need to be lower than mentioned above, and Apple will know this.

And the bookstone now being available to us until 'later in the year' or the fact this won't be out until the end of April? The yanks get it 3rd April

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
And the bookstone now being available to us until 'later in the year' or the fact this won't be out until the end of April? The yanks get it 3rd April

..and how does that stipulate if the iPad is a success or not? So the American might get the book store a few weeks before the UK. The UK is still going to get it.

Apple is an American company so of course they are going to concentrate on that market first, waiting a month is not the end of the world.

Bentron

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008

"Publishers in the UK are expecting Apple's iBook Store to follow closely behind the launch of the iPad in the UK in March, but no one spoken to by The Bookseller would name a launch date." the Bookseller

Being a Publishing student the Bookseller is THE source for anything publishing related. So for a stab in the dark I will say June, when the new iPhone and software updates are unveiled. That's only about a month wait.

http://www.thebookseller.com/news/114212-apple-planning-for-international-ibook-store-expansion.html

Gymgenius

Suspended
Jan 29, 2010

Like it.
You can get a half-decent netbook for £250 these days, so I would expect (hope) the iPad is priced to compete or even obliterate netbook sales.

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
Like it.
You can get a half-decent netbook for £250 these days, so I would expect (hope) the iPad is priced to compete or even obliterate netbook sales.

Never going to happen - ever heard of the Apple tax? In America Apple have priced them at a very competitive price but they are still more that a 'decent' netbook. My guess is that this is going to be much the same here.

Bentron

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
Like it.

No way will you get an Apple product sell for (so much) under it's exchange rate value.

At the moment for the 16GB WiFi model it is $499 = £331.

wizzerandchips

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2006
Never going to happen - ever heard of the Apple tax? In America Apple have priced them at a very competitive price but they are still more that a 'decent' netbook. My guess is that this is going to be much the same here.

But it's not a netbook, why do people compare it to a netbook! Yes we get it later, and then people start sulking coz they won't get there hands on it the same time as uncle tom. So go on go buy something else, I'm just as eager to get one. But I'm not going to spite myself and go buy something equivalent, then get my hands on an ipad and think, oh what have I done!

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
No way will you get an Apple product sell for (so much) under it's exchange rate value.

At the moment for the 16GB WiFi model it is $499 = £331.

Then you need to add VAT and also the other 5-10 % which Apple always add in the UK.

I'll be really surprised if it sells for less than £399.

Bentron

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
I will be in Germany for the launch so I am seriously considering picking one up there. At the moment the base model would be:

$499 = €366

€366 + Taxes which equate to around 25% = €458

€458 = £414

With the exchange rate as it is, the Eurozone countries may have it for a cheaper price or at least a very similar one.

EssentialParado

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2005
Then you need to add VAT and also the other 5-10 % which Apple always add in the UK.

No, no, they don't. There are several products on the UK Apple store that are cheaper than the US price + VAT, including the 64GB iPod touch. Because of the weak pound, it's meant are prices are more competitive with US prices now. Particularly in the App store — at 59p (inc. VAT) UK customers are getting a steal.

I've said this in every UK pricing thread but nobody ever seems to pay attention. :p

JonnyIreland

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2010
Toronto, Canada
£449 is my guess.

I agree with this price for the base model.. I feel that we are gonna get hit hard by the current poor value of the UK£ right now. Not sure how Apple can justify it though in comparison to say a similarly-priced Mac Mini in the US store that has a totally different value in the UK. Surely Apple as an "exporter" must also take some of the hit along with the consumer, that's how most businesses work -they don't just jack up/down the price every time there is a fluctuation in the currency markets.

I might consider not getting an iPad if the price is as high as some are suggesting.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
No, no, they don't. There are several products on the UK Apple store that are cheaper than the US price + VAT, including the 64GB iPod touch. Because of the weak pound, it's meant are prices are more competitive with US prices now. Particularly in the App store — at 59p (inc. VAT) UK customers are getting a steal.

I've said this in every UK pricing thread but nobody ever seems to pay attention. :p

That is only because the price was set when the exchange rate was higher. Apple keep the same price for the life of a product from the day it is released until it's next update.

The UK price of the iPad will be determined by the current exchange rate, not the price of the 64GB iPod touch which was set back in September when the Pound was worth $1.68. On the day it was released, the 64 GB touch actually cost £20 more in the UK.

ddk121

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2006
Wales, UK
I'll be in America after the US iPad launch, and was wondering if anyone had a slight idea wether the 3G equipped US version would work in the UK?

Thanks guys!

JonnyIreland

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2010
Toronto, Canada
I'll be in America after the US iPad launch, and was wondering if anyone had a slight idea wether the 3G equipped US version would work in the UK?

Thanks guys!

It should almost certainly work, as one of the features of the 3G iPad is that it is unlocked and should therefore work across the globe, networks permitting.

qbricc

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2007
3rd Party offers

The price might well be unfair compared with the US Apple store, however don't rule out the iPad being sold from other sites and store with discounts (example being Argos with 10% off on ipods).

I can also see mobile internet providers offering discounts for 3G or WIFI deals. Many are currently using the iPod touch 8GB as a free gift for contracts.

The marketing of the iPad in the UK may look more like the iPod model than the Mac model.

Just keep your eyes peeled for good deals.

(I for one would never buy a iPod from apple as they never offer deals such as itunes cards.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.