ipad UNlimited Data Sims are selling for over $400?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by gigaguy, Mar 8, 2011.

1. gigaguy macrumors 65816

I was thinking of selling my ipad1 with the Unlimited Data Plan and I now see this is a hot item. I don't need the Unlimited plan.
    Just the sim cards are selling for more than ipads on ebay.

Anyone know the truth about transferring accounts for the Unlimited sim card?
    I wonder what an iPad2 with the Unlimited Sim in it would be worth? or possible to resell that way??

2. edk99 macrumors 6502a

First off there is NO such thing as an "Unlimited data SIM". What you are talking about is a scam. You can not transfer the unlimited data plan from one account to another account. The SIM really has nothing to do with what service is on your account. All the SIM holds is YOUR account information. YOUR account has the unlimited data plan and not the SIM.

Giving someone else your SIM is pointless for a few reasons.
    * Your are going to cancel your service with that iPad. The SIM is now useless.
    * The person that buys it will a) sign up for new service in which they will get a new SIM or b) they will insert an existing SIM that has a data plan from their account and use that. They cannot reuse your SIM

3. whateverandever macrumors 6502a

Why do people keep repeating this line? You forget that iPad Data Plans on AT&T were all pre-paid plans. There's no credit check and nothing tying a single person to a SIM.

All you need to do is change your billing information to that of the new owner and keep paying = data plan transfer.

And yes, it is insane that they are selling for $400. I'm happy to keep my unlimited data plan on my iPhone and just tether using MyWi :p

4. jreuschl macrumors 6502

I've sold my unlimited plan on eBay. All you have to do is change the login information and give them the password. It is also recommended to change the credit card info to a prepaid one so that forces them to enter their own. They can change everything on the account: email address, password, billing. The only thing that stays is the original AT&T account telephone #.

5. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

^^ this.

WHy do people say its a scam? it isn't. All the original owner has to do to transfer the data plan is put in a gift card for the next billing cycle. not that big of a deal.

6. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

$400 for a SIM that you're going to have to pay on every month. That's crazy :rolleyes:

7. poloponies macrumors 68030

In light of AT&T's statement that the plans can carry over to the iPad 2, it's hardly crazy. AT&T is charging $25 for 2GB of data with $10/GB thereafter. If the 3G is going to be your sole Internet access then it pays for itself pretty quickly.

8. gigaguy thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks, I'm getting ideas! as I do not use the unlimited plan I have. I read conference calls are done by some with both parties talking to ATT.
    I always thought it was wrong for ATT (and Apple) to entice buyers with this amazing Unlimited plan and then drop it within a month. If that is not unfair trade I don't know what is. If they had mentioned the plan may be ended anytime ok, but they said nothing like that.

9. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

sooo.....you want to give your unlim data to me? :)

10. Cutwolf macrumors 6502

11. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

I have considered buying one. I am quite desperate to get more data from my iPad. I would use a mobile hotspot but much prefer simply pulling out the iPad and using it

I have the money to buy one at the prices on EBay. But, I have not yet b/c...well, they are a bit expensive.

12. iPhone1 macrumors 65816

iPhone1

I'm seriously thinking about selling mine now.

13. brucku macrumors regular

I just want to say that my business partner moved his sim to me - it was a real true transfer, its now 100% in my name and AT&T didn't even know we had a somewhat legitimate reason for switching it.

it can be done, and its easy. You don't even really need to talk to them on the phone about it.

14. darkside flow macrumors 6502

Apple doesn't advertise or sell cellular service data plans. You can put that squarely on AT&T.

15. JeffMorse macrumors regular

I'd buy one in a minute, but have no confidence AT&T will grandfather this for any real length of time.

16. anthonymoody macrumors 68020

In light of the new shared data plans, which include tethering, combined with an analysis of how little cell data I've used on my unlimited plan, and I am definitely selling mine in a month when the shared data plans go live.

17. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

im thinking about buying one, but im worried they are going to start throttling them like the iphones.

18. anthonymoody macrumors 68020

Agreed its certainly a risk. And I know the longer I wait the greater the risk.

Otoh my guess is that only a very small number of these plans (in the grand scheme of things) is still active, and so they may not bother.

But yup when the shared plans go live I will be ready to dump my precious unlimited data plan...

19. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

well let me know when you do :)

20. anthonymoody macrumors 68020

I already posted it in the market place forum here. Asked interested parties to make me an offer :)

(I do note that I can't transfer until the shared plans go live).

21. barkomatic macrumors 68040

$400? The price must have gone down then. The last time I checked the unlimited plans were going for $700-$900.

22. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

This thread is more than a year old. The price went up.

23. anthonymoody macrumors 68020

This. And as more and more people give up the plans over time, the price *should* simply continue to rise. The only wrinkle is that AT&T could always at some point simple end the plan, or change the terms to add throttling or some such.

That said, IMO there are probably not enough existing remaining plan holders of this type to really matter from the standpoint of network congestion. I guess you could argue that it's precisely the users clinging to these plans who are most likely data gobblers. Heck, I thought I was one. Turns out not to be the case...which is why it's easy for me to give up. I will happily save the $360/year.

24. kevink2 macrumors 65816

I still have the unlimited plan, just for the risk that, some month, I may have to travel for work and end up in a hotel where the wifi is bad, and the weather may be such that we don't do anything. That is what happened the one time I used up nearly 2GB just in the one week watching netflix.

Otherwise, I could have been saving $5/month.

If the shared data plans just announced had been a better deal for me, I would have more seriously considered changing. But I don't even do the 200 texts/month my no longer offered plan offers, and I don't use over 450 anytime minutes/month.