iPad use in academia?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by gecus, Apr 17, 2010.

1. jbnash macrumors newbie

Looking for note storage and APA citation support

I would love it if the e-reader stored a list of all the highlights I make, along with associated notes, in a separate file. It would also be nice if the file held the APA formatted citation of the article or book I'm reading, and allowed me to pull/copy citations that are listed in the article or book.

2. dread macrumors 6502a

I have already replaced my files with the iPad. I have hundreds of journal articles on it and it is a dream for reading them. I could never stand reding pdf's on my computer, but portrait mode makes a huge difference. My colleagues are very jealous.

3. jman240 macrumors 6502a

I am a current college student with an iPad and I can say that right now it's just too slow and clunky with most note taking apps to even consider using it over pen an paper. I do have to do a lot of drawings / diagrams so that may be part of my issue.

You will def want to check out http://www.coursesmart.com/ for their upcoming ipad app and see what textbooks they offer in the future since this will be much better once you get to college.

Sundry Notes seems to be great for note taking, albeit a bit slow on the platform and a little buggy but it's free.

If you have an iPhone, I've heard that the whiteboard app is useful (takes pictures of what is on the board and makes them easy to use in personal notes).

The GoodReader app ($1 right now) is great for offline storage of pdfs and ppts or whatever course materials a professor may assign.

I have found that a lot of the internal school sites don't work with safari for some reason and of course there is no file uploading for any sort of online submission class.

Other than that, I think that in the very near future, this platform will be ideal for note taking in class. It just isn't there yet for me. I give it 2 months or so. The iPad is already far superior for me to carry around then a laptop simply for the battery life (though the new 13 inch macbook pro gets 10 hours as well).

4. FirasM macrumors newbie

iPad in Academia (MSc. student)

hey folks,

excellent discussion here on iPad in Academia. While I'd tend to admit that note taking appears a bit clunky, I see a slightly different purpose for the it....

I've had my iPad for a couple of months now and I feel like I have a good handle on how it's used in Academia.

Here are my thoughts on where the iPad fits in Academia, and 6 reasons why if you're a student, you'll want to get an iPad:

http://mbpgsu.ca/2010/05/ipad/

I'd copy paste it all here, but it's pretty comprehensive (no Ads on the site either)!

Cheers all,

Firas

5. DKatri macrumors 6502

Check out sundry notes in the app store. It does drawing, typing and has some scientific symbols in it aswell.

6. mark28 macrumors 68000

Can't you just use a MBP or a MB air for just reading pdf's?

I can see it be very usefull but on the otherhand, if you already got a laptop, why the need of an iPad?

7. metanoiac macrumors member

You totally could. I just enjoy reading the papers on the couch or in bed, and an iPad is easier to use in these circumstances. Its also great for travelling / cafe-ing.