All iPads iPad use timer for kids?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by iMas70, Nov 29, 2013.

1. iMas70 macrumors 6502a

Is anyone using any special timer for their kid's iPad use? I caught the end of a tablet commercial that said their tablet comes with one. I know I can use the timer in the clock app but wondering if there is anything better.

2. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I think the Kindle Fire, and possibly the Nook tablets come with kid timers. I know Apple doesn't make one, and I doubt apps that do that kind of thing would be allowed in the App Store -- keeping time, yes, but shutting down the tablet after a preset time, no.

But then, books didn't come with preset timers, either, and hmmmm, I dunno if I would be a better person if they did or not! :D

3. iMas70 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I didn't catch the whole commercial so I'm not sure how they work (shut it down or not). I know that I can just say "ok, you've been on it enough" but that's to easy :)

4. donnaw macrumors 65816

I have a new Fire and yes, it has a timer. You can set it for different lengths for reading, watching videos, playing games, etc. haven't dug into it much since I'm just the grandmother and I can easily get away with just telling them 'times up'.

I imagine most parents won't limit reading time nearly as much as the other stuff that will likely entice kids more (like games).

As for timers on reading, I do know that personally I would have gotten a LOT more sleep over the years if I had had one. Way too many reading sessions not associated with the next days class/test. And way too many reading sessions lasting to 4 am or so on a work night! The good news is that now that I'm retired I can read all night with absolutely zero guilt, not that guilt bothered me much but at least I can take a nap later in the day.