iPad users: would you recommend dropping MBPS for iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by appleofmy"i", Mar 29, 2012.

1. appleofmy"i" macrumors regular

appleofmy"i"

Wirelessly posted

Im considering dropping my 2010 MacBook Pro and buying an iPad as my primary. Has anyone successfully done this? Opinions?

2. shellbryson macrumors 6502

shellbryson

Only you can answer that as it's down to how you use the devices :)

I use my MacBookPro for both novel writing and PhotoShop/web UI development - the latter is not possible on an iPad.

iPads are perfectly acceptable for some lightweight content creation, but they are *not* excellant at it. A MacBook Pro is excellant at almost any heavyweight content creation apart from high-end video or 3D. For that you need a desktop.

If you are only consuming data, then I'd consider getting rid of the MacBook - and iPad is perfect for consumption.

3. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

It depends on what your usage is. A 2010 MBP is pretty powerful and can run a lot of applications that the iPad can't run. If you don't use those applications such as Adobe CS5, iDVD, AutoCAD, Xcode, VMWare Fusion, and Toast Titanium, you're a prime candidate to use the iPad as your primary device. I would say that 95% of the time I read e-mails, read news, reply on forums, I'm on the iPad. It's just really fast and easy where the MBP or MBA would require boot up or wake from sleep and would have a few clunky apps running. Mail IMO is still pretty bad on the MBP since I still use Exchange server to get mails and there's a lack of push functionality on OSX.

4. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

Wirelessly posted

There is a member here (sorry for not knowing his username) that has been doing this for a while. Check out his site: http://ipadalone.com/

5. GraphicsGeek macrumors 6502a

I did that when I got my original iPad. I only used my MBP for graphic design work and it never left my desk, defeating the purpose of having a laptop. So I sold it and got an iMac and an iPad and haven't looked back.

6. takeshi74 macrumors 601

^ This. Subjective matter and the OP has provided no information that would help others to even attempt to reply.

7. AZRunner macrumors newbie

I sold my MBP when I bought the new ipad, but I have 2 iMacs at home. The MBP was my portable device, which I happily traded in for the more travel friendly ipad. There's no way the ipad would ever be my main device.

8. ecib macrumors regular

ecib

OP, depends on your use case, but honestly, I can't quite imagine that situation yet. But I do a lot of things on my MBA that I can't do on an iPad, like code, or run more full featured applications. Even for typing the iPad sucks unless you get a bluetooth keyboard, but even then, using an iPad all day for productivity sucks. Just the inability to have multiple windows open with different programs is worth it's weight in gold. On the iPad you'd have to close your browser and open your mail. Copy and paste something there (clumsily with your finger) then close your mail and open your browser. Paste it in, etc. Also, there is no file system. THAT is a MASSIVE pain in the ass from a productivity standpoint.

I love my iPad, but it's no laptop. Ignoring the coding issue, it won't even be a replacement for the general public until they figure out how to deal with the lack of a file system.

9. iKIKO macrumors regular

iKIKO

hell NO !! i prefer a lot more my pro 15'' than any iPad :D

10. dukeblue91 macrumors 65816

dukeblue91

I think it all depends on how you use it and what you do with it.
    For email web and some light document stuff sure no problem.
    And as long you have another computer to do the heavy lifting for you I think you can use the iPad as your portable device.
    I know that how I use it, as a portable computer but for my real work I use my Mac Pro.

11. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

12. appleofmy"i" thread starter macrumors regular

appleofmy"i"

Sorry I knew i should had been more specific on what I do. Im a full time student so I use it mainly for papers, research, browsing, and mostly light use. I bought an i7 MBP in 2010 because I used to do AfterEffects and FinalCut for work but now we have dedicated Macs for that (at work).