Ipad uses 3g instead of wifi?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by xPurpleblob, Aug 11, 2011.

1. xPurpleblob macrumors regular

Well when i lock the ipad it goes to sleep. If i wake it up right away, it stays on wifi. However if i wait about 20 seconds plus, the ipad is on 3 g. I have to wait about 4 seconds for it to turn to wifi. Im worried because when im not using my ipad ill get mail or notifications and that will use up my data. However the weird thing is that if i stream music or download an app and put my ipad to sleep, it will stay on wifi. Suggestions to fix it or is this normal.

2. xPurpleblob thread starter macrumors regular

3. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

4. nwbusa macrumors regular

No need to bump your post after half an hour. Someone will come along, be patient.

5. xPurpleblob thread starter macrumors regular

4.3.3 jailbroken

6. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

Both my iphone and ipad do that. All the time. I think that it has something to do with router strength. Maybe.
    Edit, neither of mine are jailbroken.

7. xPurpleblob thread starter macrumors regular

Can anyone confirm this?

8. Pracht macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

It switches to 3G when not in use (uses less battery then hunting and fighting to stay connected to wifi asleep). The iPhone does the same thing.

Correct me if Im wrong, but I believe that when it gets a notification it'll wake and get back to the wifis first

9. xPurpleblob thread starter macrumors regular

Ahhh. I want to lick your face now.:)
    Anyways so its normal that when i wake up my ipad i see the 3g symbol then the wifi?

10. MattEcho macrumors newbie

This just happened to me yesterday. I turned off wifi and turned it back on a few times which got it going. That's all I got.