iPad uses

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jdlindsey7, Mar 5, 2011.

1. jdlindsey7 macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8C148)

I'm a big fan of all Apple products. I'm typing this on my iPhone 4 and I have a black MacBook (wish they still made the black one). So I'm familiar with the brand but I've never been able to wrap my head around the iPad. As far as usefulness, what does everyone use their iPad to do? I'm considering the original since Craigist and eBay will be bombarded with them in the next couple of weeks. Thanks for your help!

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I use mine for note taking, at work, pdf viewing (useful for system upgrades). At home, its better then a laptop for surfing and email work. Watching videos and what not.

I think Apple nailed the target segment for the iPad when they originally stated that the iPad is a tool thats better then the iPhone but is less then a laptop. That is it cannot replace the complete utility of a laptop but what it does do, it does better.

3. jetblk328i macrumors 6502

Hmm I, too, wonder about this question. As an owner of an iPhone and 13"MacBook pro, I can't come up with the arguement to get an iPad, besides being able to read books on it and take notes in class with it over my MacBook... Interested to see some more replies

4. tbobmccoy macrumors 6502a

tbobmccoy

I don't have an iPad yet (probably getting a used version 1 for cheap myself) but I know exactly what I'll do with it: movies on the go and books for my children. The Kindle doesn't have pictures, and for two year olds, that's just not going to work, so I'm really excited to use the iPad for that. I'll probably also use it as a portable, light work device since as a teacher, I'll be able to craft lesson plans pretty easily on it. Oh, adding to its use will be playing video using the video out to projectors in the classroom. I'll have tons of uses for it!

By the way, I loved the old black MacBook as well, but if I were you, for the next upgrade I'd go 13" aluminum. They're really nice, and it's probably what I'll get once my 15" dies in 3-4 years (if they're still making them)!

5. No1up macrumors regular

Well, the kindle was $400 when it came out, and that was just black and white ebooks.

So, as a student I use, PAGES, I simply cannot express how much I love my $10 app! , keeps me ahead of my classmates, by being able to do my research, typing, and importing pictures, all VERY simple and FAST!

I use it as my NETFLIX, I can plug it in to my TV or watch shows in bed with the wife.

I also have all my chem books on the kindle app, so it has all my school books in one. Can anyone say, light backpack?! lol

I plug it in to the TV and play games, yes you can do this with the ipad one, if you jailbreak it.

I use it to make AND present my presentations, by plunging it in to the projector.

I use it as a map, when I need directions.

I use it to keep all my notes, passwords, reminders, and calendar dates.

I use it for web, email, music, movies, work, school work.

I use it while waiting at the doctor, or having coffee and looking up whats new on Macdailynews.

I can keep going, but needless to say, it makes life less complicated for me. Again, with the $400 kindle.... can any one who bought that say the same?

sorry for my run on, I'm on the iphone, MISSING my Ipad so much!!

6. henry2 macrumors regular

henry2

To me the Ipad was a nice inbetween device the desktop and phone that allowed me to basically surf the web as i need and answered a email here and there or send a email through the Wifi set up ..Along with beening able to play some game's and listen to music and keep track of some personal thing's all in one device and not have to lug a laptop or MP3 player along with two diff power cord's for them iniside a bag ..The ipad is a all around device for the person to carry with them that allow's them to do some of the basic fuction's of the desktop or laptop that they have there..

It not a replacement for it but it fill's insome of the more basic fuction's that we computer user do everyday on the computer but in a way that the device can travel with you as it need ..

7. jdlindsey7 thread starter macrumors regular

"I also have all my chem books on the kindle app, so it has all my school books in one. Can anyone say, light backpack?!"

How do you have school textbooks on your iPad? Do you have to purchase them or are there apps that allow you to do this? Also, can you view PowerPoint on your iPad for free or is there a program I would need to buy?

8. No1up macrumors regular

you can buy book (kindle books) on amazon. There are people on craiglist that will turn any book in to ePub format! :)

also power point is a windows software. the Mac version should be able to read Power point much like Pages can red word doc.

9. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

As you have already seen there are many uses. We keep ourson the coffee table as a quick reference device. So nice to be online surfing in literally 5 seconds No computer to boot up or wake up. Just click and go.

Weuse it for emails too. I just wish I could use it to SMS text people. Mine is 3G so shy not?

For work its a dream and trumps my iPhone for email sending. I also use it as a TV device, and GPS.

10. DaGreat01 macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

I use my iPad for school and have my textbooks on it also. My school offers online books where you go online and sign in with a username and password or activation code. I then just download the book as they are just PDF files. The i put them into iTunes/iBooks.

And Apple has an app called Keynote where it lets you view and make powerpoints.

11. Branskins macrumors 65816

I don't have an iPad yet but will be getting one this Friday! This is what I plan to do:

- get GarageBand and play around with it. It just looks too amazing
    - get some iBooks and try reading out books on the big screen
    - transfer some school books to it. It should be a lot more enjoyable than reading it on the iPhone 4 or my MBP
    - get the ABC player to watch some shows on it that night
    - get Netflix for movies
    - think about getting Beejive IM, Pages, and maybe some games.

I really plan on using it for lecture slides in class, reading school books and other iBooks, watching TV shows and movies, web browsing (which is about 70% of what I do on my MBP).

I am really excited to play around with the more productive apps. I cannot wait to try GarageBand out. Photobooth looks like fun! I also hope to find some fun art apps to doodle around in on the big screen!