iPad Verizon 3G question

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Ranalot, Jul 13, 2011.

1. Ranalot macrumors newbie

I signed up for the Verizon 3gb / $35 / month plan a couple months ago.

I just realized that the plans have changed going forward: http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/mobilebroadband/?page=plans

It's now $30 for 2GB / month or $50 for 5GB / month.

So is my 3gb / $35 plan going to change when I move to a new billing period this month? Or am I allowed to keep the $35 plan until I cancel or change plans?

There seems to be no real mention of this any where.

2. crobbins macrumors 6502

It seems likely that you will be able to keep the 3GB for $35 plan as you are currently using it. If I had to guess, it will be just like AT&T, the minute you let it go, it's gone and you won't be able to get it back.. :cool:

3. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

In general, Verizon allows customers to keep their existing plans until they change devices. However, in this case there may be a complication. The data plan for the iPad is a month-to-month option, not a one or two year commitment. (Same with AT&T, I believe.) If you deactivate the plan for a month when, say, you don't need 3G connectivity, you may have, in effect, canceled the plan and won't be able to reinstate it for the following month. VZW may insist that you move to the new tiered option.

If that's the case, you may want to investigate another option, altogether. I have a mifi portable modem/router for which I pay $50 per month for 5 gigabytes and a two year commitment. I don't have the option to turn it on and off each month (but I don't need that option since I travel frequently and need internet connections at least once a month.)

For me, the advantage is that my mobile wifi router is 4G rather than 3G with speeds up to ten times that of the 3G connection it replaced. And I can use it for up to five separate devices simultaneously. It also meant that I could purchase the wifi only iPad (saving $130) but that, of course, doesn't apply to you.

Your current deal is a better option of course. But if you are forced to shift to a new plan, you use the cell network frequently, and you would like to have 4G connectivity, you might consider another option.

4. Ranalot thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot guys. It will be interesting to see if the plan changes or not.

5. darngooddesign macrumors G3

What did Verizon say when you called them?

6. Ranalot thread starter macrumors newbie

One rep said my plan would change. Called again, another rep said it wouldn't... :confused:

Anyway it's renewed and I kept my 3GB plan...