IPAD versus HP Slate 500

Discussion in 'iPad' started by techkidd4400, Oct 22, 2010.

1. techkidd4400 macrumors regular

2. Mike225 macrumors 6502a

Mike225

I wouldnt think they compete much at all. They both aim to perform different tasks.

3. Merthyrboy macrumors 6502

Ahh thats the one with the ctrl, alt delete button. Good to see competition but it's got a lot to live up to.

4. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

5. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

What I really don't understand is why it needs a button to bring up the on-screen keyboard. Does any other tablet or smartphone devices have that?

6. smiddlehurst macrumors 65816

Umm, why are you impressed? No, that's a serious question and not a fanboy one. What does this device do that an equivalent laptop doesn't do better, faster and cheaper and, frankly, with a better end user experience?

Outside of certain niche markets (i.e. where tablet PC's have been selling to date anyway) you'd have to be certifiable to buy this. It's underpowered for a Windows 7 machine, you need to somehow use a device the size and weight of an iPad but with a stylus rather than your hand and that makes a big difference to ergonomics, the OS is terrible for touch input, there are kludge solutions all over the place and all that lovely existing software is designed around keyboard and mouse so the BEST you're going to manage is using the on-screen keyboard then reaching down, grabbing the stylus from wherever you put it (there's no dock on the tablet from what I've read), tapping a control too small to accurately touch with a finger, putting the stylus down again and carrying on.

Speaking as someone who's used Windows tablets for over 5 years now this is going to be terrible as a home / consumer device and bring very little to business other than in certain areas like point of sale, survey filling etc. Now if it were running webOS or, for that matter, a tablet version of WP7 that'd be a different story.

7. NJBlackBerry macrumors member

I'm a PC

and I laughed when I saw the HP device. Too small, a slow processor and 2GB of memory will barely run resource hog Windows 7.

Try again.

If that's the best the Windows camp can come up with, I'll stick with my iPad and (eventual) Playbook.

8. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

In a generation or two the slate will really rock but it needs to have some sort of 3g/4g

9. techkidd4400 thread starter macrumors regular

I am not even going to begin to try to defend the Windows Platform. HP claims on its website that its newest Slate/Tablet will also run webOS, which it purchased when it bought Palm.

The point I am making is that HP has made an impressive device that will probably lead to better tablets being made and this type of competition will help ensure that Apple makes continued improvements to the iPad, which is good, but not perfect. The next version of the iPad should have an SD card slot and may be an improved option for inking.

10. Syk macrumors 6502a

Like I said else where The Slate is geared towards business & iPad more home consumer.

Nice specs, question the processor though but at that price I'd just go the notebook route

11. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

a slide out windows license?? Are you effing kidding me?

12. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

It has one with the Camera Connection Kit. I know it's probably not what you are thinking of using it for, but hopefully jailbreakers will find an exploit for it to be used as an external storage hook up.

13. VanNess macrumors 6502a

VanNess

I think the only question that needs to be asked about this thing is did Microsoft tell HP that it will cover it's losses on it.

Shipping this now is obviously more a sign of desperation than competition.

14. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

SD card slot? Never. And what is "inking"?

15. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

You keep using variations of the word "impress" but you have not explained what is so impressive about the Win7-equipped HP Slate. :confused:

16. damnyooneek macrumors 6502

The thing is a netbook with a touchscreen. It still runs windows 7 and if you've tried windows 7 on a netbook you know it's no fun.

17. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Depends on what you want to do with it. I'll agree that an iPad is a better interface on such a small form factor, however.

18. Imsuperjp macrumors 6502

Ctrl alt del button. Enough said. With netbook specs running windows 7, you are going to be using that button a lot. Comes with a stylus but no where to store it? Nice try HP but what a joke.

19. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Exactly. There is something wrong if it has a HARDWARE Ctrl-Alt-Delete button.

20. Thadon macrumors member

It looks good, but that fact it runs Windows 7 ruins it... Now if it had ubuntu or something on it I may look at getting one to use along side of my iPad.

21. WolfKeeper macrumors newbie

Really? I still use my Dell Mini 10 side by side with my iPad. Windows 7 runs on it great. It doesn't slow down or choke on image heavy and large web pages like Safari does on the iPad. And that Mini has an older processor than the new HP tablet. With an SSD it's going to be pretty speedy.

22. Don Kosak macrumors 6502a

Don Kosak

Hmm. It looks like the screen is only 1024x600? Is that right? I think anything with an onscreen keyboard needs at least a 10" screen and 768 or better resolution.

You can thumb type on smaller systems, but that's suboptimal.

I am excited to see HP enter the market. I was hoping for a bit more, as well as a WebOS operating system model. WebOS 2.x is slick enough to give iOS a run for it's money.

23. rowspaxe macrumors 68000

rowspaxe

even in a promotional video slate looks painfully awkward to use. the real
    genius of apple/jobs was seeing what tablets do not do data input well
    and redesigning the tablet as a satellite media consumption device with
    a simplified operating system. its a case of less being much much more.

24. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

Would be nice to run Hackintosh or Ubuntu with Touch support.

Dunno about Windows 7... Well, maybe after disabling all the visual effects on the GUI, it may run decently.

And no, I'm not trading my iPad for a Slate. At least not for now. HP would need to come up with something as portable and reliable as the iPad to convince me.