iPad Video Converter?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ThunderApple, Apr 29, 2010.

1. ThunderApple macrumors 6502

Getting my iPad Tommorrow and was wondering if anyone know any FREE converter that converts AVI format videos on my computer that will convert it into a iPad video viewing format that also will convert it to the video size so it fits the screen of the iPad.

Thanks to those that help! ;) :apple:

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

3. ThunderApple thread starter macrumors 6502

I downloaded Handbreak but theres only the following:
    Universal
    iPad
    iPhone/iTouch
    Apple TV

Anyone give me any advice? ;)

Thanks for the info on Handbrake btw!

4. LurchNC macrumors regular

Hi,
    What would you like to know? The iPad will play anything the AppleTV will, so you could use that preset. What size are your original files?

FYI, I converted all my DVD's using the "Universal" preset. This gives me DVD Resolution and Dolby Digital on my aTV and still syncs to my iPhone. They are equal to the quality of the standard def movies in the iTunes store. If you have HiDef sources (720p and 1080p) you may have to start with the universal preset and tweak it from there. I know the aTV will play 720p stuff, but only if its 23.96 fps. 720p will not sync to an iPhone however.

5. ThunderApple thread starter macrumors 6502

Mmmm so what Height and width do you use when convertering files into iPad video format? And how did you convert DVD's using the Handbrake? :confused:

6. LurchNC macrumors regular

Well, as far as height and width, you really only need to worry about height. You aren't going to change the aspect ratio of the file, so if the original file is 853x480 (Anaphoric widescreen, 480p), the converted file will be the same size. If you have a 720p file (1280x720) you can lower the res to 480p (853x480) so it can sync to more than just the iPad, or leave it 720p for higher quality on the iPad.

I don't think the iPad can do 1080p, so you would have to convert those to 720p or 480p. You will get bars on the iPad because the iPad is not widescreen. I think you can zoom in, but then it crops off the sides of the movie.

As far as converting DVD's I use "RipIt" to copy the disk to my hard drive. Then I use handbrake to convert it to iTunes using the Universal preset.

7. swordm macrumors newbie

I found a iPad Video Converter, freeware, but only work on Windows.

Aleesoft Free iPad Video Converter

8. ipadfanatic macrumors newbie

Just use AirVideo as it's and easy to setup/use. You can stream video and do offline conversion. There is a free and paid version on the app store

9. TeamDNA macrumors 6502

Just use iPod video converter. Google that it's free. Works great

10. zen macrumors 68000

zen

11. alana22 macrumors regular

iSquid is what I use. Fast, free, simple, great quality.

12. gdieter macrumors member

quicktime?

If you're using a mac, and can open the avi with QT player (may need to install Perian or similar plugin) and try doing a "save as". There are options for different formats, including iPhone, iPod, AppleTV. I've used QT to convert files for my iPod Touch and it works fine. Still waiting for my iPad 3G, so I don't know how these formats will look on it.

13. richardhunt macrumors regular

Another vote for handbrake. Although the new version of handbrake .94 does not work with AVI files.

14. ThirteenXIII macrumors 6502a

Honestly stop downloading AVI movies, archaic filetype and horrible quality. hence why there is so many random and no specific avi convertor.
    get some nice m4v videos. once people start phasing out getting crappy filetypes and start opening their eyes to a better standard thered be less need for these crapware apps.

BUT...iSquint should still work afaik.

and like others mentioned HandBrake Universal preset all the way, had no problems transferring movies from itunes to ATV, iPhones, iPod Touch, Nano, iPad.

15. SteelWheel macrumors member

Air Video on iPad works great for me around the house on my wifi network. Tried using it over 3G and the experience was miserable--video kept hanging every 45 seconds or so, as it waited for new material (this may have worked better if I had converted it first, instead of doing conversion on the fly).

Anyway, I'm willing to load my iPad up with some videos for a cleaner playback experience--I do have the 64GB model, after all. So I'm trying to figure which method is best of those mentioned above: Air Video --> convert to m4v --> add to iTunes library? Handbrake? iSquint (no optimize for iPad setting there of course, since it's abandonware, so use the "optimize for Apple TV" setting)? Or QT (using Perian if necessary)?

Just looking for the solution which will look best on the iPad--I have all the software mentioned above, merely soliciting opinions from the videophiles as to which solution is superior. Thanks.

16. Shawnstra macrumors regular

Handbrake + Snow Leopard = Perfection

Use handbrake!

17. SteelWheel macrumors member

Hmm. Well, I'm still using Leopard on my MBP (my default behavior is to upgrade OSs when I "upgrade" to new hardware :)). But I'll assume that Handbrake on Leopard will be equally good. Thanks.

18. Reaktor5 macrumors 6502a

Reaktor5

Handbrake.

I don't have an iPad yet, but I've seen people have luck with using the stock AppleTV preset and just bumping up the 'Constant quality %' to around 65-80.

19. fishepa macrumors regular

20. Seamaster macrumors 65816

Seamaster

If you're using Handbrake, here is the official advice regarding optimum settings:

[​IMG]

21. HiFiGuy528 macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

I am doing iPhone/iPod Touch settings from HB with 320kbps audio. Looks and sounds GREAT.

22. SMacDuff macrumors 6502

SMacDuff

I used to use Handbrake and iSquint for my video conversions but now I prefer Videomonkey as it's both free and comes with iPad presets. Handbrake has problems converting large .mkv files which converts easily.

23. zen macrumors 68000

zen

Where is Videomonkey's iPad preset? From the Convert To dropdown, there is only All Apple Devices, iPod, iPhone, iPod touch, Apple TV.

I've been using the Universal setting in Handbrake, and everything works fine and looks great. I'll see if those instructions above make any difference.