Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zakfox1986

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
I just got through jailbreaking my iPad with Spirit. The only reason I wanted to jailbreak it was to allow me to listen to things like Pandora in the background while web surfing.

I'm assuming what I'm wanting to do is relatively impossible right now with the available Cydia apps, but I'd like to be able to jump to Safari while "watching" (or listening) to video via either the native iPad Video app or YouTube. I'd like the video to continue playing and be able to hear the audio of the video or movie I'm watching. Is there a setting in Backgrounder or anywhere else to allow me to do this?

DisneyRicky

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2010
Northern California
Well, if you background YouTube while the video is playing and open the Music Control (default: double press of home button), click play and your audio still plays

g8orballboy

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2010
DisneyRicky said:
Well, if you background YouTube while the video is playing and open the Music Control (default: double press of home button), click play and your audio still plays

This is something I want to do as well, but this trick definitely doesn't work for me. If a YouTube video or iPod video is backgrounded, it stops and double clicking the home button does nothing for me.

eaglesteve

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2009
I simply use the volumebuttonextender from cydia to restart the playing of video sound in the background. This works even if the device is turned off as long as the video was already started.

GinoDotCom

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2010

I had to first press the sleep button then when awakened in the lock screen, from within the lock screen you double tap home button and only audio will play wherever you go from then on.

You obviously need music controls from cydia for this as Disney Ricky pointed out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.