iPad viewing resolution on 500px.com

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Phrasikleia, Nov 22, 2011.

1. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

I don't have an iPad, so I can't check how photos look on one when viewed in the new 500px iPad app. It was recently reported that 50% of all traffic to the 500px site is now coming via the iPad app, so I'm wondering if it might be best to upload at the native resolution of the iPad.

I read somewhere on the 500px site that they recommend uploading at 900 pixels wide, but they scale up the photos from there for the iPad app. How does that look? Has anyone noticed if images uploaded at 1024 pixels look any sharper?

2. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

I don't use 500 px so I can't speak to how the photos look when uploaded at different file sizes. I do have an iPad, so I can comment on how your photos look on the original version of the device. These are screenshots and don't have the clarity of your original POTD posts, but they look pretty good to me. Let me know when you want these removed from ImageShack.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dale

3. Phrasikleia thread starter macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

Oh my...yes, those are my images, alright! I was more interested in knowing whether shots posted at the native resolution of the iPad were any more sharp, but judging from what you've posted here, the 'enlarged' versions of my photos do look a bit soft. So maybe I have my answer! Thanks, Dale! And if you do happen to join up and post your own images at the native iPad resolution, please do report back!

4. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

Glad to help. Keep in mind that these are screenshots off my iPad that have been uploaded to ImageShack, so they have been compressed more than your original posts. I picked your work for this because you have the ability to contact me if you want them down. I didn't want to put them on my Flickr because it is more public.

500 px looks great for displaying photos, but I can't spare the cash right now.

Dale

5. Phrasikleia thread starter macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

I haven't spared any cash for it myself; I've been going the free route so far and am having fun with that. And don't worry, if I minded my work being made public, I most certainly would not have put it on 500px!

6. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

7. alexiarudolf macrumors newbie

alexiarudolf

OMG, These pics are looking awesome... Dale these are really nice pics. oops i missed to wish u happy holidays, So Happy Holidays and Happy New Year Friends. Now i am also feeling to go out and take some awesome pics with my iPhone 4.

Alexia R.

8. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

^^^ All the photos belong to the thread starter.

And happy holidays to y ou.

Dale