Ipad virus today?

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by cmm6797, May 4, 2011.

1. cmm6797 macrumors newbie

Is it possible that my ipad already has a virus? Screen popped up that said something along the lines of "windows security has detected a virus' (or something like that), "press ok to scan", which I mistakenly did. Then it started running and "detecting" 4 viruses. Then I realized it was probably a scam so I shut it off. When I turned it back on, there's just a white screen with the same message :"windows security needs to run a scan". Since the ipad doesn't have windows I'm assuming it's a virus.
    Anyone know anything about it or how to fix? I just shut it off again and am leaving it like that. I thought apple was supposed to be immune to these problems that I have on my Dell all the time.

2. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

It's just a fake virus warning scam aimed at windows users and is designed to persuade them to download and buy malware masquerading as anti-virus software. You are perfectly safe and your iPad hasn't been infected

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Read about such "scareware" warnings in the following link:

4. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

So this screen popped up - in Safari? (Or whatever browser you are using.) So you shut it off right then and there - a full power down (where you see the little gear-like thing spinning) or just a tap the power button till the screen goes dark? If the latter, when you turned it on again, was it in the browser or at the home screen when you saw the warning?

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It was obviously in the browser, as it's a scareware tactic and not real, since it had nothing to do with Mac OS X: