iPad voice dictation FAQ?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Travisimo, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Travisimo macrumors 6502a

Does anyone know if there's an FAW somewhere that explains all of the new voice dictation commands? I don't have an iPhone, so I'm not sure if they are the same on the iPad or not.

I know that you can say things like "period", "exclamation point", "comma", "new paragraph", "at sign", etc.... but I'd like to know if there's a list of what works?

Here's an example of one I'm trying to get to work without success. I like to make lists that appear like this:

1. Sentence number one.

2. Sentence number two.

I can get it to write "1" instead of "One" by saying "One dot". But I don't know how to get the spaces between the number and the start of the sentence.

So if I say "One dot Space Sentence" then it will just do this:

"1.space sentence" I guess it doesn't recognize spaces.

If I say it without the space, like this: "One dot sentence" then it just does this:

"1.sentence" It doesn't automatically put a space or two in there. Is there a way to get it to do a space somehow?

Thanks!

2. Travisimo thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks, that's great!

----------

Hmmm... there still doesn't seem to be a way to get the results I want with a list...

I tried "1 dot space bar sentence" and it still did "1.sentence" without the space bar (it ignores it, I guess).

I also tried "1 period sentence" and then it does "One period sentence" instead of the number and a period.

I also tried "1 point" and it does "One point".

Does anyone know if there's a way to do this using iPad dictation:

1. My sentence.

2. My sentence.

No matter what I try, I can't seem to get a space or two between the period and the start of my sentence....

3. scottw324 macrumors 6502

Try "One period" then your sentence.

EDIT: nevermind, I missed that u said u tried that already. Caught it reading through the second time.

4. mgipe macrumors demi-god

mgipe

I would be real nice if they added a few directives:

"bullet 1" => 1. <subsequent text here...>

"bullet" or "new bullet" => <new line> * <subsequent test here...>

5. Travisimo thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, that would be nice. I've tried every combination I can think of, and there just doesn't seem to be a way to make a list using dictation :-(

6. AceCoolie macrumors regular

Out of curiosity, how much do you use voice dictation? I was excited to try it out but found it more difficult that I thought. I wanted to write an email with it but found it was very hard to know exactly what I wanted to say at one time without long pauses and corrections etc. I have to go one sentence at a time. If I'm reading a script, it works great but for me to come up with stuff off the top of my head, it's difficult.

7. bobobenobi macrumors regular

How do you fare at conversations?

8. AceCoolie macrumors regular

Don't be an idiot. Can you speak and entire, multiple paragraph email in one take without a single mistake or long pauses while you think about what you want to say? I didn't think so.

9. bobobenobi macrumors regular

Idiot? Coming from the guy that can't think before he speaks, that's a bit harsh.

I use dictation a paragraph at a time. Doing multiple paragraphs at once doesn't seem like the best way to do it. It's just two taps of a button to move on to the next paragraph.

10. JesseW6889 macrumors 6502

Haha, I thought that was pretty funny!

He's saying that spoken conversations and written text are two different things. Thats why you're not supposed to write speeches verbatim, and just the outline for you to fill in while you're talking.

I agree... voice dictation is hard to use for more formal stuff like emails vs. just a personal note you are leaving for yourself.

11. GroundLoop macrumors 68000

GroundLoop

i just wish there was a way to insert a tab using voice dictation. would make using Numbers a lot easier.

GL