iPad volume control - is this normal?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by copydeskcat, Jul 5, 2010.

1. copydeskcat macrumors regular

Hi folks,

got my new iPad 32gb.

One thing I've noticed, when I press the "up" volume button, it goes up incrementally. However, when I press down, it mutes the sound completely - ie. it jumps directly to zero. However, if I press it one click at a time, it goes down one notch at a time.

Is that normal? Or should the volume go down gradually even if I'm holding the button down?

2. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

If you hold the volume down button for 2 seconds, it will automatically mute the volume completely. Totally normal.

3. copydeskcat thread starter macrumors regular

That doesn't seem right, and it's certainly not mentioned in the user manual.

I just phoned the Apple store and they said it wasn't normal.

Can anyone else confirm this happens on their iPad - ie. That you have to press individually to get the volume to go down?

4. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

Mine does it, drives me crazy at times.

5. nixiemaiden macrumors 6502a

If I hold the volume down button it goes straight to 0 as well.

6. alectheking macrumors 6502a

your worried over that? it's because at the last second they changed the "mute" switch to a "lock orientation" switch. Thus, holding it down is now the "mute" and just pressing is volume down.

7. copydeskcat thread starter macrumors regular

Bah. They said they would replace it, which seems pointless if I'll just end up with the same iPad.

So, the consensus is that it's a 'feature' then?

8. pondie84 macrumors 6502a

It's completely normal and to make up for there being no mute switch as there is on the iPhone.

9. alectheking macrumors 6502a

Yes.

10. copydeskcat thread starter macrumors regular

I wasn't 'worried' about it, but if it was a problem, i would want it sorted. My iPhone 4 and my iPod touch don't do this, so it didn't seem normal. However, it seems to be perfectly normal according to the consensus.

11. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

Does the exact same thing on both ipads in our house, and has from day one. The person at Apple doesn't know what they're talking about; it's been mentioned in several reviews even.

12. copydeskcat thread starter macrumors regular

It's the sort of thing they'll change back when iPad gets ios4 - seeing as how there's a lock orientation feature when you swipe to the left on iPhone 4. No reason why the orientation switch can't be put back to use as a mute button and make the volume controls do what they should.

13. copydeskcat thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks everyone. I'll get back to enjoying the iPad and reading some comics in top-notch quality.

14. Menge macrumors 6502a

Menge

The iPad has this for quick silencing. Since the switch on the iPad is the rotation lock, it needs another "shortcut" to silence it.
    The iPhone has a hardware silencer switch, so it doesn't need this "shortcut".

It's completely normal. All iPads I've touched do this (3 so far),

15. pondie84 macrumors 6502a

But the volume controls do exactly what they're mean to do, turn the volume up and down, and allow you to mute quickly.

16. copydeskcat thread starter macrumors regular

True. But it's not consistent with how the iPhone and iPod touch works, which is why i was concerned.

17. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Yes it's made that way due to lack of mute switch, and yes it's annoying for those used to iPhone or iPod touch.

Write to apple.com/feedback

18. Capt T macrumors 6502a

19. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

I blame this 'feature' for the loose volume rocker on my iPad.

20. kfscoll macrumors 65816

kfscoll

Mine does it too, and while annoying, I can certainly live with it.

21. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

This would annoy me.

Not everyone that has an iPad has an iPhone, and i didn't even know my Touch had a mute switch, i've never used it. I'd go look for it but it is in the car.

But i use the rotation lock multiple times a day on my iPad and am quite used to it being a switch!

22. Phil Lee macrumors 6502

Take a look at page 9 of the iPad User Guide. It says:

Personally I find this a really useful substitute for the mute button.

23. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

I wish they kept it the same as the iphone, toggle to mute. I find myself muting it constantly when all I wanted to do was lower the volume, and with the toggle function at least I could tell if it was muted just from looking at the switch.