All iPads iPad vs Cell Phone

Discussion in 'iPad' started by TallManNY, Sep 18, 2014.

1. TallManNY macrumors 601

TallManNY

Since my iPads have cell service and phone number, not to mention speakers and microphones. Plus the cell carriers will soon allow VoLTE and Wi-Fi Calling, what is the technical reason why my iPad isn't a cell phone?

I share my data between all my devices, but when I add a smartphone, the cell carrier charges me $40. When I add a tablet they charge me $10.

Is the distinction really more of a legacy issue at this point?

2. g35 macrumors 6502a

I didn't know you could get a phone number with an iPad. I assume you mean through the carrier and not Google Voice or textplus.

iPads don't have a speaker up top so you can't hold them up to your face like a cell phone, you have to use speakerphone, bluetooth, or headset, which is another roadblock.

Most people carry their smartphones everywhere in their pockets, but only use iPads at home/work on Wifi or carry in briefcase/purse/backpack when they're out, which is another reason why the carriers charge less for them. People just use way more data on their phones on average because they're always handy and frequently used out of wifi range.

3. TallManNY thread starter macrumors 601

TallManNY

Yes you get number that with the sim card that allows you to use their cell network.

My plan with Verizon doesn't differentiate where I use the data. It all comes out of the shared plan. So the price difference has nothing to do with how much data you use. But it probably has something to do with the utility of that data.

4. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

I believe the iPhones have higher margins. The iPads are cheaper than comparable iPhone models (by storage) and yet they have bigger screens/ battery... It's in Apple's interests to withhold cellular calling function to the higher margin model.