iPad vs iPad 2 Javascript Benchmarks on iOS 4.3

Discussion in 'iPad' started by aberrero, Mar 4, 2011.

1. aberrero, Mar 4, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2011

aberrero macrumors 6502a

I figured people would be interested in knowing what the real-world difference in javascript performance is between the iPad 1 and iPad 2.

In Sunspider 0.91,

iPad: 3215ms
    iPad 2: 2121ms
    iPad on 4.2: 8595ms

Lower is better, basically the iPad 2 is 34% faster in pure javascript. Not bad, but not "2x faster" like certain people would have us believe.

The more powerful video card is good, but keep in mind that the iPad, the iPhone 4 and the current iPod touches all have the same video card and similar resolutions. Current games will run smoother, but I think it will be a while before anyone comes out with a game that looks noticeably better on the iPad 2.

The iPad 2 and iPad 4.2 numbers are from slashgear http://www.slashgear.com/ipad-2-browser-benchmarks-02137340/ they benched it after the keynote. Notice how the iPad 1 is more than twice as fast in this benchmark by being updated to 4.3.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm confused.

Where did you get the iPad 2 benchmark numbers. The product is not even out yet :confused:

3. BradClarke macrumors member

He prob had an invite to the iPad 2 Keynote, they let you play with the iPad's 2 after the keynote.

4. fertilized-egg, Mar 4, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2011

fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

Apple said "up to 2x faster," a big distinction. Beside we already know Sunspider doesn't care much for dual core. That's actually a much bigger improvement than I had expected.

Here's the SunSpider number from the Galaxy Tab 10" version and the Xoom against the old Galaxy Tab and the old iPad. It looks like the latest tablets containing the dual core A9 are all about equal. Good to see that Apple finally caught up with Google in the Javascript performance.

http://www.carrypad.com/2011/02/17/samsung-galaxy-tab-10-1-hands-on-sunspider-test-good/
    [​IMG]

http://www.sencha.com/blog/motorola-xoom-the-html5-developer-scorecard/
    [​IMG]

5. BruiserBear macrumors 6502a

So this test was done using an iPad 1 with 4.3 firmware?

Because my iPad 1 is definitely quicker in Safari after I installed the 4.3 gold master tonight.

6. aberrero thread starter macrumors 6502a

Updated post

7. iPadLad macrumors member

iPadLad

Intersting. Thats certainly good to hear since we are developing a somewhat intense js based game specifically for the iPad. Thanks for the info

8. fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

Yeah that doesn't get talked up much but it's a great and a very important update. The Safari javascript engine has lagged severely behind the Android browser's and I felt the website loading was slow on iOS devices because of that. Now it seems they are pretty much on par and existing iOS users would see some significant boost in Safari.