iPad vs iPad 2: Safari RAM Tab Test

Discussion in 'iPad' started by BergerFan, Mar 12, 2011.

1. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

2. Kadin macrumors 6502a

Kadin

Cool video. Guy kinda sounds like Steven Spielberg...

3. HXGuy macrumors 68000

I wonder if he is running 4.3 on both. 4.3 made a huge difference on the iPhone 4 and it's ability to load web pages with lots of big pictures.

4. Cloysterpeteuk macrumors member

Why has his screen on his iPad gone all yellow?, is it just different brightness settings or do all iPad screens take on that sickly yellow tint over time.

5. Kadin macrumors 6502a

Kadin

I noticed this at first as well and just figured he maybe has a screen protector on it like Invis Shield or something...

6. kettlecorn macrumors 6502

Probably has 4.3. I installed 4.3 on my ipad 1 and it got noticeabley faster but didn't affect reload or checkboard effect. The reason why i sold my ipad was that would bug the hell out of me but the ipad2 seems to be doing well with it.

7. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Read the sites main page!

8. HXGuy macrumors 68000

I'm still getting plenty of checkerboard pattern on iPad 2.

9. tsekh macrumors member

I notice that if you have mutiple tabs opened, with at least one that is still loading in the background, you get checkerboard effect even if the tab that you are looking at has already been fully loaded. But once all the tabs are fully loaded, no matter how fast I scroll up and down, I don't get any checkerboard,

The checkerboard effect hass more to do with the CPU rather than memory. When there are other tabs loading in the background, lots of processing power is devoted to those tabs, and the remaining processing power is not enough to generate the content quick enough and avoid the checkerboards completely. That being said, the A5 is really a top of the class SoC for this class of devices, and the checkerboards go away noticeably faster than on the iPad 1.

10. JulianL macrumors 65816

I'm surprised that background tabs take a lot of CPU power, there's no real need to do any formatting until the user looks at a tab, but maybe Safari does some basic syntax checking and pre-formatting of the elements in the background so that when they do get put in the foreground they display more quickly because a lot of the processing needed to render is already done. Despite my confusion about why background tabs in the process of downloading suck up so much CPU power, I'm still inclined to agree with your analysis.

If you are right then this seems to me to be something that could be fixed, or at least improved, with a software update. It's really down to thread priorities, maybe the thread(s) working on the foreground display should get more of the available CPU when the user starts scrolling the foreground page at the expense of temporarily diverting CPU cycles away from the thread(s) that are doing the parsing (or whatever else they're doing) of background tabs being downloaded.

- Julian

11. Durious macrumors 6502

I agree browser loading is now amazing wooot all my complaints of iPad 1 are fixed with iPad 2 are fixed except multitask gestures and notifications ios5 hurry up hehe

12. williambhadley macrumors newbie

Multitouch possible

Multitouch gestures can be used with 4.3. You will need to install Xcode and complete a few steps. You will then have the option in settings. Google it and you'll find numerous step-by-step guides. I love it!

13. Pinger macrumors regular

Hate to say it but this is one of the very few things that irks me with my iPad 1... Is it just me or has Safari gotten buggy on the iPad 1 since the updates?