Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

asmallchild

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 25, 2007
I'm in the medical field and my office is transitioning to electronic medical records

I've never owned an Apple tablet so was hoping I could get some opinions on whether to go with the full sized iPad vs the iPad Mini

The office manager has recommended the Mini since it fits into our white coats and the software has identical functionality on the Mini as well as the full-sized model

Conversely, I very rarely wear my white coat and don't plan on lugging any iPad from room to room. I'm likely to just complete my notes on the desktop at the end of the day.

Any recommendations on which size to go with? Thanks!

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
You should go to an AS and try both, then make the decision.

iPad Air 2 is more powerful than Mini 3, so if you are looking for the best performances go for the Air, but otherwise is just a matter of convenience.
Do you prefer the bigger screen so you can see stuff easily or you want a lighter tablet?
There is no way we can give you the answer, is really up to you.

I use the iPad at home for web and email and I never bought a Mini because I find the iPad to be more comfortable to the eyes. But the Mini is perfect if you need to carry it around all day, so if I'll need to use the iPad at office, during the commute etc. in the future I'll definitely switch to the Mini

nightlong

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
Australia
The Air 2 got a much better upgrade than the mini, and is a great tablet. It is so thin and light. Great screen, fast. The only advantage the mini has is smaller size, so how important is that to you?

RickTaylor

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2013
You've pretty much listed the pros and cons of the air and the mini; there's not much I can add.

I prefer the mini myself because it fits in my suit jacket pocket and goes absolutely everywhere with me. Plus I can easily manipulate it in one hand while writing on a blackboard for my students with another, or holding a back of groceries while I use the gps on it to navigate a shopping mall. But if I never took it from my desk, I admit the larger screen of the air would be nice.

Part of it is just a matter of personal preference. Some people just like the size of the air, and some people just like the compactness of the mini. Not every decision can be fully rationalized, and I'd recommend paying attention to your gut preferences.

AnthonyHarris

Cancelled
Jun 4, 2009
Cambridge, England
I've never had real hands on with a regular iPad but I simply adore my iPad Mini.

Its smaller in size, light weight and is still able to run everything on the app store intended for its bigger brother. Those are pluses I think are worth noting. I have noticed there really isn't much difference in speed compared to my boyfriends iPad Air, even though I think the processors differ.

All in all, the Mini is a force to be reckoned with.;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.