iPad vs iPad2 pricing?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by flynnst0ne, Feb 9, 2011.

1. flynnst0ne macrumors regular

I havent been on the site in awhile, however i was wondering if anyone is aware of any expected price cuts on the iPad1 vs the upcoming iPad2. Given Apples track record of cutting prices on old models, i figured it was highly likely.

Thanks!

Matt

2. poloponies macrumors 68030

Apple discontinues older models, they don't discount them.

3. nmills macrumors regular

4. flynnst0ne thread starter macrumors regular

Really? What about iPhone 3GS? I consider that an old model in comparison to the 4, and it also has been discounted.

5. poloponies macrumors 68030

Phones are heavily subsidized. If I had to guess, AT&T drove this option. They were paying Apple $325 per contract, even if they're paying a little less now that's an insane return for a device that costs very little to manufacture. It's also an entry into the Apple world for a lot of people. There's next to no upside to Apple to discount the 1st-gen iPad when the next gen will sell just as well at the same price points.

6. WRXHokie macrumors regular

WRXHokie

They definitely do for the iphone, they don't for the older Macbook's, etc. I'm sure the older iPad's will follow the computer model of discontinuing the older versions. But if you want a discounted model, try the refurb's.

7. yahya4k macrumors member

Its barely been a year since iPad was launched (and some countries are still getting official releases now), so buying one when the iPad 2 is scheduled for release, just to trash it seems kinda decadent.

I personally feel the iPad was highly lacking as a tablet device. Innovative? Yes. Quality for money? No, especially with all the copies of it available now from other manufactures... and the imminent release of iPad 2.

8. francymetal macrumors newbie

I think Apple could discount "old" iPad model like iPhone 3GS. Youngest people could buy first generation iPad because cheapest than new ones

9. flynnst0ne thread starter macrumors regular