iPad -vs- iPhone HD (June 22/2010)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by kdesign7, Mar 29, 2010.

1. kdesign7 macrumors 6502a

Just a breif up here...

Apparently with all the rumors flying (and yes, they are rumors) that Apple will Release a New iPhone this year, (June 22) named the iPhone HD, which will have OS 4.0 w/ MultiTasking, and a Front Facing Camera and also a denser Pixel Screen for HD Content...

Now, my problem is this - I live in Canada, so the WiFi+3G version of iPad won't go on sale till May-something. If the new iPhone will be running OS 4.0 (Which I'm assuming the iPad will get the same upgrade, later on, which is fine)... What is throwing me off here is the fact that it has a FRONT facing camera.

I REALLY want an iPad, that is clear.. But now the rumored next iPhone is throwing me off my game. Basically the new iPhone will have everything the iPad has, except more pixels, and a front facing camera.

If YOU had the choice.. RIGHT NOW, right this second, if someone handed you a WiFi+3G iPad, and the rumored iPhone HD, which would you prefer?! I know it's hard to speculate because most people haven't even SEEN the iPad in person, and nor the rumored iPhone.

My 3year contract with Bell is almost up, in September, and I'm still debating if I'm going to just ditch my phone all together, OR if the new iPhone is Savvy enuff to sway me back into a contract. I like the iPad for it's 3G connectivity. I also like the No-Contract idea. I pay $30 right now on my HTC 6800 for unlimited internet, which I broadcast to my notebook wherever I am.

In my case, I rarely, ever use my phone to make phone calls because it just works out in my case that I dont do much phone calling. I do text, but NOT alot. Maybe less than 100 a month (which is down from when I first got my phone, I was sending nearly 3000+ a month), now Ive lost interest. It's stuff like this that make me think, do I really 'WANT' another phone that locks me into a few years contract, for something I rarely use.

((I think I might have just answered me inital question above.. but again, Im on the fence, and just looking for opinions - try not to be to harsh or negative...))

I had mentioned in a previous post about my speculations on the next iPhone, and why the left the front facing camera out of the iPad, (breifly: because they didn't want the sales of the ipad with front facing camera to cannibalize the next iphone sales, thus leaving room for iPhone sales, and potential new features on the second gen. ipad.)

:apple:4ever

2. wingnut8 macrumors 65816

wingnut8

rumors are... rumors. who knows what will happen in June. I'm getting an iPad now and most likely will be getting a new phone in June. I'll just sell my 3GS.

3. ipoddin macrumors 6502a

ipoddin

No, it is not a fact that the next iphone has a front facing camera. It's not a fact that it's "HD". It's not even a fact that it will have more pixels either.

So, given the RUMORS, here's my opinion.

Buy the ipad now. If a new "HD" iPhone is announced with all the RUMORED features, sell the ipad and get the phone.

4. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

Buy both? If you're buying one and your contract is almost out, you should get upgrade pricing. So what, $199 for a 32gb iPhone HD?

The two devices are really for different purposes. I know right now a lot of people don't understand that, but they will.

So you rarely use the phone or text and you expect to use a front facing camera all the time? Weird. Do you have a Mac? Do you use the iSight on it often? If no then proceed to step 2. Step 2: you don't need a front facing camera.

5. patrixl macrumors regular

your iphone HD won't have iWork, and the amazing other apps for iPad... Chose the device based on what your needs are...

As usual, Apple products are about more than hardware specs. they are about what the device allows you to do, enables you to do, and how you can work with it.

6. kdesign7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yup, I have a 27-inch iMac, and I do use the iSight Camere a lot to be honest. I enjoy the personal factor of being able to have a conversation in real-time with video. I think it helps make the conversation flow better.

Its just, Im not a fan of my phone any longer, and Ive lost interest in it. When I first got it, I Text'd like a son of a gun, but.. ya... I dunno.

I just have a strange gut feeling that Im going to buy the iPad, and then want an iPhone, which I really dont see the purpose in having.. but again., Im just all over the board with this idea lol

Thanks for the comments!

7. kdesign7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yup, I never did say it was a 'fact'... I stated at the begining that it was a rumor... so.. ya.. :) But ya... I'll admit, Im leaning more towards the iPad.. I mean.. look at it.

;)
    Roar.

8. foxnews1 macrumors 6502

no matter what the iphone HD will be, it can't do things the ipad can because of large screen size.

the iphone can have more pixels, camera, etc. but due to its small screen size, there is not much you can do with it. You can't read book or browse for hours on the tiny screen. whatever you do on iphone, you can't stare at it for too long. you can't run completed app like iwork.

9. kdesign7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Very good point... and I completely agree... When I seen iWork for the iPad I was amazed! That's truely a wick'd app! Even if some people dont think so, I do.

I've seen some articles online about founded Images and what not about the iPad being able to make Emergency phone calls?! I guess there are regulations that if a device has 3G it needs to be able to make a 911 call?! Im not sure, just what I read.

I think it would be AMAZING if the iPad, With a Data Plan, was able to send Text messages, because if this were the case, that would just add more brownie points onto that side of the fence.

:)

10. kdesign7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I usually max out at about 30-45 minutes of browsing the net. I use "A Browser" because it lets me use Full Screen and a few other features Safari doesn't have. But even so, you have a good point.

Im not sure if I will be doing a lot of 'E-Book" reading, but the idea I could is nice.

Just reading these comments are putting some extra weight for me to fall on the iPad side.. I mean, Im excited to see one in real life,

... Ive had a cell phone for the past 8 years... would I miss not being able to 'call'? Im really not sure. I mean, there are PAY phones everywhere if I REALLY need to make a call, and whenever Im at usually, (work, friends, home,) there is a phone there... so.. Ya..

*le sigh*

Choices.. choices.

Thanks for the comment mate!

11. wingnut8 macrumors 65816

wingnut8

Also, with the price of the iPad, I wonder if that will affect iPhone prices. I most likely won't break my contract, so will be paying full price. It'd be great if you could get one contract free for >$400.

12. foxnews1 macrumors 6502

not just with data plan, you can text/chat with wifi.

13. kdesign7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Amen brotha!
    I guess my biggest beef with the cell phone market is... being Locked into a contract. And with Bell/Aliant, you can't buy phone (iphone) out right - Atleast that is what i was told when I asked a representative, and also when I called their customer support.

Damn Contracts are crushing my n*tz.

14. bossxii macrumors 68000

iPad. Front facing camera is a gimmick to me, never use it. Higher resolution, dont' see the point on such a small screen. If the suckers think "HD" makes it better so be it, doesn't make a 3.5" screen more usable to me. Usable screen real estate is king for me.

My only real choice will be if it's on VZW/Sprint in Sept, I'll wait to move to VZW or Sprint. Sprint here in KC is suppose to roll out Wimax this summer/fall which would be interesting if I could package up home and mobile broadband all in one package. VZW is ok, but it will come down to which carrier lets me tether as well.

15. kdesign7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

How do you TEXT with Wifi? *ears perk up!*

Do you mean like say... if I wanted to text a friend who has a Rogers Phone, but going to their Website and sending that way?!

Or are u talking about another means?

If you only had a Wifi iPad, how would you contact your friends on their phones thru texting?!

:)

16. ipoddin macrumors 6502a

ipoddin

Read the part I quoted from your original post again.

17. foxnews1 macrumors 6502

Sprint new EVO 4G has a built-in app to run as a hotspot for 8 devices. No extra charge on 4G.

18. ipoddin macrumors 6502a

ipoddin

There are numerous apps for iphone right now that let you text without actually going through an SMS plan. Google Voice (the web app) is one. And there are others.

19. GeekLawyer macrumors demi-god

GeekLawyer

The post is coming from inside the house!
    Yep, Google Voice was going to be my suggestion. Great for SMS over wifi, etc.

20. bossxii macrumors 68000

I'm hoping that's the case, at least that it's an App for the iPhone assuming it shows up this year on Sprint. I live near the Sprint world HQ and still baffled they haven't even put 4G here in KC. I would probably cut my cell phone bill in half moving to Sprint, so I'm ready when Apple decides to make the move!

21. Sleazy E macrumors 65816

Sleazy E

22. kdesign7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hopefully you dont mind, but where do you get Google Voice? I've heard about it before, but never really looked into it.

Err wait.. it's a Web Application right??? Like it uses HTML5?!

I just tried m.google.com/voice on my iPod Touch and it tells me that its coming soon and that its invite only. Poop... on a stick.

23. ipoddin macrumors 6502a

ipoddin

It's invite only. Which is why I mentioned there are other apps that do this too.

It's an html5 web app, but you can also just visit the regular web version in your browser.

24. foxnews1 macrumors 6502

even if iphone goes to sprint, apple might not have tethering. if you want telthering, android or window is your best bet. you like apple product and you have to live by their rules, or trying headache of jailbreaking

25. kdesign7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yup, I just found that out.. damn invite only! Poo... lol