ipad vs. iphone/macbook

Discussion in 'iPad' started by paperhearts63, Jul 19, 2011.

1. paperhearts63 macrumors member

So I'm interested in getting an ipad but since I have an iphone and a macbook is an ipad necessary? What are the pros of using an ipad versus using an iphone and a macbook? Also, can I connect my iphone to an ipad to charge and update it?

2. wingsabr macrumors 6502

wingsabr

I have all three (see sig) and each one has it's place. When I'm working on my college classes I use the mbp and the iPad, when I'm couch surfing and gaming, I use the iPad. My iPhone has unltd data so I keep that for Netflix, Xfinity, etc. while I use the iPad and it's battery life for my digital movies. I also use the iPad as my organizer and notetaker.

If you can swing it then I say go for it.

3. tstarks33 macrumors regular

There are about... hmm... 2000 threads just like this since the ipad was released.

4. Digidesign macrumors 6502

2001 now. :D as for OP's 2nd question, no, you cannot attach an iphone to the ipad to sync and charge.

5. BMWNEW macrumors member

I use an iPhone 4 for everything on the go, and 11" MBA for things, which require a notebook.
    Remember: iPad is great as a toy: watching movies, facebook, etc...
    But iPhone and Mac are much more important. iPhone can do EVERYTHING that iPad can, only screen is smaller. But Macbook can do MUCH MORE, that an iPad 2 :cool:
    If you don't know how to spend about 500 £ - go and buy an iPad, it is extremely addictive toy. :apple:
    But it is not very functional.

6. Ubele macrumors 6502a

As the owner of a MBP and an iPhone 4, I was skeptical about the iPad, and I wasn't that impressed when it came out and I played with it at the store. I thought it was a novelty at best. But enough people told me that you really have to use an iPad for a while to appreciate it. When the iPad 2 came out, I decided to get one. They were sold out everywhere, so when AT&T sold the original iPad at low prices, I decided to spend the $499 I'd allocated for a base-model iPad 2 on a top-of-the-line iPad 1 instead ($529, actually).

My friends were right: I love my iPad, and I use it every day -- more that I use my MBP, in fact. Saying that there's nothing you can do on it that you can't do on a Mac or an iPhone misses the point. There are things that are easier and more fun to do on the iPad, as is the case with each device in question. Don't underestimate how quickly you get used to carrying an iPad around the house, outside, etc., so you can quickly browse or look up information. I prefer reading ebooks and other content on an iPad. Reading on the small iPhone, as nice as the Retina display is, makes my eyes tired after a while. The touch interface is better for certain tasks (music and art apps, for instance) than on a Mac.

Why would you spend $500 on an iPad? Well, why would you spend money on a Lexus, BMW, Mustang, Accord, etc., when a Kia Rio will get you from point A to point B for a lot less money?

7. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I almost pulled the trigger on a MacBook Air today. But I didn't. One of the reasons is that with an iPad and a PC, I am struggling to find a spot for a MBA. If it ran Quicken to connect to online banking, I'd do it. There has to be a compelling application that requires both. If all you do is email and web browsing, then having both is pointless. IMHO.

8. Jagardn macrumors 6502a

I have a MPB 13, iPhone and an iPad. I travel for work all the time so my iPad is my travel entertainment. My MBP stays at home because I have a work supplied laptop and the iPad is just much easier to lug around. :D

9. RyanTheGeneral macrumors regular

I myself had a iPhone and MBP before I got the iPad 2. I was afraid i would not use it as much as i would have liked and it would be almost a waste..

well I can say I use it a fairly good amount! When lounging around- like someone else said iPhone can do the same however the screen size is a nice addition- lighter and easier to handle over the MBP when just relaxing on the couch. It does a little more then iPhone as some of the same apps have iPad only features due to its screen size and power of it. I actually use it for MORE then I thought I would.

It does a good job of what I bought it for (e-reader) but sadly I barely use it for that anymore as I'm usually surfing web- or playing something on it.

10. err404 macrumors 68020

I have all three, but the iPad is making me re-evaluate my needs. Let's talk about the future for a bit since iOS5 is going to significantly change the way these products interact. Through iCloud, data will be more seamlessly shared between devices, making it easier to use the device best suited to the environment as opposed to the device where you data resides.
    This makes the iPad more useful for reviewing docs and making light edits, while your OS X machine will be the heavy lifter and your iPhone is your at-your-side device.
    The question for me is what device will fill the OS X role? When I am on-the-go, my iPad/iPhone are all I need. So do I really need a laptop? Or is it more efficient to get a more powerful, always-on desktop. I'm leaning towards dropping the laptop and getting an iMac...
    You need to consider your mobile needs. If you really need a laptop when you are away from home, an iPad becomes a redundant device to carry with you.

11. Alvi macrumors 65816

Alvi

Exactly, I travel overseas several times a year and it's pretty ridiculous. The iPad could work for everything I do on my way home (3 Connecting flights totaling 8,000 miles or 13,000 km) but I'm just not patient enough to write long emails on it and do the stuff that the Laptop is much faster at (even if they're not processor-heavy tasks, but iOS is just a bit cramped at them).

An iPad without my Laptop is a blessing, but an iPad with my Laptop on a trip is a curse. I would even leave my Laptop in my Luggage but I just don't trust airlines that much and I can't just have an iMac instead because my Trips last months.

But yeah, that's the story of my life... To the OP

Get an iPad if you have the money for it, it's a great device to consume content on it, but if you have 500-700$ in your hand right now and not more better keep them for the Better iPhone 5/4GS and some MacBook improvements.

12. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Well, I figured out all about Boot Camp and Parallels, so I pulled the trigger on the MBA. Having a real computer almost as portable as the iPad seems useful. We'll see... :apple:

13. weespeed macrumors 6502

Good choice.. I just picked up an MBA as well. I can now retire my 17 MBP that's on its last legs.. Boot Camp was also a criteria in my decision on getting the Air. My 17 MBP is so old and is maxed out at 2gb ram, so wasn't capable of dual botting OSX and Win7 well. Which did you get? I got the 13" i5 4gb 256ssd.

For me, my iPhone4 or my Galaxy Tab 7 is always on me. I need a phone at all times. Also being a computer engineer, I always have a laptop on me. It was always my trusted Thinkpad, now it'll be the new air.
    The iPads I do have stay at home or come with the family on long trips. We use them for couch, bed and bathroom reading/surfing.

To me the iPad can't take the place of a phone and a laptop, it's an in-between device. Can't make calls with it, can't do a lot of complicated task with it(what I need it for anyway), it requires work arounds to transfer files, etc.. But for everything in between it is a great device.
    And after playing with my new Air I see where Apple is headed, and I think the iPad will eventually get to be more of a content creation tool instead of a media consumption tool.

Apple is totally merging OSX and iOS. When I first booted my Air the familiar linen background in iOS is the background for lion as well. Then the scrolling is like I'm using my iPad.
    Gotta get used to it. Eventually it'll be one, no OSX or iOS, just iOSX..