iPad vs. iTouch

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by shyam09, Nov 15, 2010.

1. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

so i was looking around and well i initially planned to get an iTouch.. but then i saw the iPad and wanted to get that...
    now after reading some posts about the small print on websites on the iPad im not sure if i want it as much.

btw. im planning to get a MBP 13 2010

so im at square 1 again.. undecided about which to get..
    can someone give me some tips/ideas..
    thanks

2. coochiekuta macrumors 6502

no 3g data plan (or am i wrong?)for the touch but it does have a camera! haha, that can be useful right?

there are apps, mostly games, that are only written for the ipad. beyond that the ipad is an ipod without the camera. you get to place the touch in your pocket, spend less money and tell people its an iphone. the ipad just cant do those things. well, maybe if you have big pockets but no one is going to believe its an iphone. :D

3. dumpy38 macrumors newbie

I bought a macbook pro 13" and ipod touch before the ipad was released. If I had it to do over, I would buy an imac and an ipad. Don't know if you need major computing power on the go but if not that is what I would do.

4. InsanelyApple macrumors 6502

InsanelyApple

That is not contributing to the topic. (S)he is wanting a iOS device not a OSX device.

I say however much you are willing to spend. If your budget is pretty high, I'd go with the iPad.

5. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

6. keaide, Nov 16, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2010

keaide macrumors regular

These are all very different devices... what do you need it for? I find my iPhone (in your case then the iTouch) to be really great to be mobile when I'm on the road... I would not trade it for an iPad, which would be (comparatively) quite bulky. I like the "put-it-in-your-pocket" mobility about the iPhone / iTouch. But if the ultimate mobility is not key for you and some light word processing, chatting / e-mailing or picture/video watching while sitting in some coffee shop is what you want, I'd consider the iPad (both have tons of nice and inexpensive apps as well)... or even a MacBook Air, if things like picture editing, or some more serious work comes into play.

7. Appleind macrumors regular

Appleind

Have you thought about MBA. May be a 11" or 13" might suit your needs. If you are looking for an iOS device and want a camera as well then iPod Touch. if not an iPad. Also there are rumors of an iPad v2 with camera coming in Spring. So this is what i can think of

8. freddyr439 macrumors newbie

If youre already planning to get an 13in mbp its better to get an ipod touch. I would not get an ipad because I have no use for an intermediate type device. a mbp is already portable enough think about it. You still need a backpack for carrying both your items.

I could understand why you would want an ipad if you had a desktop machine and wanted more portability but if you already have a laptop theres no reason to get one.

I have an ipod touch because whenever i want, i pull it out to take quick notes or find directions and I use it as an mp3 player while commuting. If i had an ipad I'd have to carry a backpack and have to open it up every time I needed to do that. Of course the Ipod touch has no 3g and you still have to search for wifi spots but if you live in a big city (like me) it won't be much trouble.

9. superericla macrumors 6502

That's like asking if you should get a hot tub or swimming pool. It really depends on what you're wanting.

10. entwife macrumors regular

Great analogy.

11. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

iPod= ultra portable mini computer, effectively replaced my laptop and I even play games on it more. Great MP3 player.
    iTouch= a suite of applications designed for touchscreen EPOS systems, including quick access to rota information, menus/service list, till attachment, etc.
    iPad= less portable but also a light-use laptop replacement. No cameras. Option for wireless data.
    MB/MBA= fully capable computer. Runs OSX and Windows (compatibility).

It's all about what you need.
    Recently I sold my Macbook (which I needed at the time) for an iPod touch and couldn't be happier.

12. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Don't need a backpack for an iPad, a small bag will do. I often just keep it in a sleeve and carry it in my hand. And what do you mean by "open up" -- you just tap and swipe to turn on an iPad, just like you do with an iPod touch.

13. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

The print on the iPod Touch is not small?

I have in my household everything from a Nano to a Mac Pro. For web surfing, the iPad is superior to the Touch...full websites load (not the annoying mobile sites) and can be viewed full width rather than having to scroll around. And with both you can pinch to zoom, but I do this less on the iPad. Flash is rarely missed. While bothe can utilize wifi, you can get a data plan for the iPad.

Unless I need to do more serious work on the road, the iPad is often carried more than the MacBook Pro. Yes I have an iPhone, but for prolonged Internet use I prefer the size of the iPad.

For serious work at home, the desktops rule the day. If you must have a portable "desktop", you need the MacBook Pro. The question you need to ask is whether size matters for you for your idevice.

14. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

That's exactly what I did (iMac and iPad) - I find the iPad gives me plenty of power on the go when I'm away from my desk and the iMac gives me all the power I need whilst back at my desk.
    On the subject of iPod touch vs iPad, I personally find the iPad is big enough to do "serious" work on it (for example, I use it all day long for taking notes in meetings), but the iPod touch isn't. It all depends on what you are wanting to use it for

15. freddyr439, Nov 18, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2010

freddyr439 macrumors newbie

open up the backpack or purse/manpurse. I'm speaking from a guys perspective- as we don't usually carry purses. I think its a hassle to take it on/off my shoulders and look through it for just a quick note or directions or whatever, when I could pull out my itouch or iphone out of my pocket. And if I wanted to do more serious mobile work id just use my laptop. But that's just my personal opinion.

16. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Well, not that the iPad fit in any purse I own. I had to dig out my bookbag from my college days to have a bag it fit in. But then, as I mentioned, I ended up just carrying the iPad in its sleeve. I do agree in many situations pulling an iPhone or a touch out of your pocket is much quicker than trying to get put the iPad, which is why I carry both my touch and iPad with me most of the time. Unlike you, I don't do enough "serious work" while mobile to justify carrying a notebook - I'm seriously covering the new Air, but I just totally don't have any valid use for it!

17. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

if you're getting a MBP anyway, then it seems to me that the Touch is maybe a better choice