Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

karilynn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 30, 2011
Saint Paul, MN
Hi everyone!

I've been reading the forums for a long time, but have never actually registered until tonight! I am here in hopes of seeking advice for my current conundrum: iPad vs laptop! Seems like a silly question, but I am so torn.

I purchased a MacBook Pro a few days ago and as much as I love it, it's a little too much for what I actually need. I have a 27 inch iMac that I do the majority of my school work on (yes, that makes me a student!) I take classes online, so I never actually take a computer to a class. I was looking for a nice complimentary product for my iMac that would be more casual and not really for school use. Internet surfing, emailing, Facebook, music, instant netflix watching, e-book reading, etc. I actually did a lot of research and was captivated by the MBP, but now that I have one, I find myself longing for an iPad! I'd rather have one or the other.

I could understand keeping the MBP if it were my only computer, but I have my beautiful iMac. Would it be totally absurd to replace a MBP with an iPad? I would save/get back quite a bit of money as an added bonus. I spent so much on my laptop, I didn't get any goodies or accessories with it.

I guess I am just confused and looking for advice from anyone who has maybe made this exact same decision? Please shed some light fellow Apple lovers!

Also, if I posted this in the wrong place, I apologize!

Yumunum

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2011
U.S.
Get the iPad. You don't need two good computers, you only need one. The iPad brings something new to the table, and will be an amazing device for you as long as you have a computer for all your heavy duty work. Plus, you have the added bonus of cash-back ;O

Moccasin

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2011
Newcastle, UK
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Well the obvious question is whether you've considered the MBA?

I was in a similar position a few months ago when my Sony laptop became too unreliable and I was travelling a lot. I looked at an iPad and have enjoyed using my brother's.

With the uses that you describe then an iPad might be enough. For me, I needed a bit more. I love how small my 11" MBA is and yet have a full keyboard and can do full computer stuff in front of the TV, as well as take it with me when travelling. To me, the MBA is perfect. It's my first MAC and currently my only computer other than my crap Sony thing.

karilynn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 30, 2011
Saint Paul, MN
Get the iPad. You don't need two good computers, you only need one. The iPad brings something new to the table, and will be an amazing device for you as long as you have a computer for all your heavy duty work. Plus, you have the added bonus of cash-back ;O

Hey, thanks for the advice! Appreciate it. It's 4:30 am and I can't sleep because I am so stressed out over this. Man, I feel bad for people with real problems. LOL

I got swept away with the idea of having 2 amazing machines and am having major buyers remorse now.

karilynn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 30, 2011
Saint Paul, MN
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Well the obvious question is whether you've considered the MBA?

I was in a similar position a few months ago when my Sony laptop became too unreliable and I was travelling a lot. I looked at an iPad and have enjoyed using my brother's.

With the uses that you describe then an iPad might be enough. For me, I needed a bit more. I love how small my 11" MBA is and yet have a full keyboard and can do full computer stuff in front of the TV, as well as take it with me when travelling. To me, the MBA is perfect. It's my first MAC and currently my only computer other than my crap Sony thing.

Oh boy. Now I want a MacBook Air! Ahh! Haha :) I never actually considered one before, but now that you bring it up, it does seem like a really great solution. I have an iPhone 4 which really is just a tiny version of the iPad, right?

karilynn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 30, 2011
Saint Paul, MN
Also, I should ask as well: has anybody heard any pros or cons to a black or white iPad? I can't imagine there would be any, but I like both colors so maybe there is something that can help me pick one or the other if I end up going with the iPad? thanks! you guys are the best here, I swear :eek:

Moccasin

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2011
Newcastle, UK

You might hate me soon!

If you have an iPhone 4 then I think having no laptop between that and your iMac could be limiting in future. I used my MBA when travelling and uploaded photos to it from my DSLR. My brother does the sane with his iPad but can't do much as the storage is so low.

I essentially thought of the MBA as an iPad with a proper keyboard. Theyre actually much more than that - especially the new ones - but it does mean you can write essays in front of the tv or in the garden, coffee shop etc. Just a thought!

Paulywauly

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2009
Durham, UK
I had the same question last year when i bought my first gen iPad, i already have an iMac and wasnt sure whether to go down the laptop road for a secodary computer/travel companion.

The answer is different for everyone but i've always felt like my iPad is a great "lifestyle" companion to my iMac which deals mainly with workhorse tasks. The Macbooks are all awesome at what they do no doubt about that, but the superior battery life, form factor and care-free interface of the iPad sold it for me (as well as me always wanting a "big iphone" for round the house!)

If you wanted to get some serious work done on the road i'd probobly recommend keeping your MBP or going for an Air, but if like me you want the convienince of being able to read, surf the web, play the occasional 59p game, listen to music or watch video, or even read through a recipe website when cooking or look up that actor "you cant remember the name of" when watching a film i'd pick an iPad anyday

Moccasin

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2011
Newcastle, UK

I'd agree with Paulywauly that an iPad could still be the solution, it's just - as he says - whether you want to do more than surf on the net etc with it

karilynn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 30, 2011
Saint Paul, MN
All great advice. I probably shouldn't have purchased the MBP without being 100% sure, well, sadly I thought I was pretty sure. Now I'm sitting here with regrets cheating on my new MBP with the iPad and now the MBA in my mind! (poor MBP!)

I really wasn't planning on doing much more than internet browsing, email checking, music listening, angry birds playing, netflix watching, e-book reading, and now recipe finding! I suddenly feel inspired to learn how to cook. Maybe the iPad is the ultimate solution for me after all!

The limited space thing isn't too big of a deal. I've got my music on iMac and my iPhone, I do picture uploading on my iMac, and I don't travel often, though I really should! (that's a whole other life crisis though) hehe :)

thanks guys! I feel worlds better

Moccasin

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2011
Newcastle, UK

If you have an Apple store (or anyone who sells both ranges) nearby it's worth just going in and comparing the two. If you're not planning on doing anything too arduous with it then iPad may well be the best solution. The MBA is gorgeous though ;-)

karilynn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 30, 2011
Saint Paul, MN
I'm lucky enough to live near 4 Apple stores, so I am definitely heading to my favorite one (yep, I have a favorite! all the cute boys work there :p) and I am going to check out my options in person. I purchased my MBP online, so if I do end up returning, I probably can't take it back to the store? Well, that's a question for Apple, unless someone here knows.

Moccasin

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2011
Newcastle, UK

Which store is that then? I like cute boys too! ;-)

karilynn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 30, 2011
Saint Paul, MN
Hahaha! :) I live in the states. In Minnesota. Just swim the ocean and join me! We can see cute boys together. Oh, and MacBook airs and iPads!

arogge

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2002
Tatooine
One thing that seems to be lacking in the iPad is the OpenOffice and equivalent XML file support. This is a problem for me because I have more than five years of word processing, spreadsheet, and slideshow presentation data written in StarOffice/OpenOffice formats. Apple made it a priority to read Microsoft files, but not OpenOffice XML, and without that I can't read nor create new files in this chosen format without going back to the regular PC.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
reading your post, i think the ipad will be a better complement for you than the MBP.

unfortunately, there's not a lot you can do about buyer's remorse. think about selling the laptop, you shouldn't take too much of a hit if you can land an interested buyer.

good luck.

Moccasin

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2011
Newcastle, UK
reading your post, i think the ipad will be a better complement for you than the MBP.

unfortunately, there's not a lot you can do about buyer's remorse. think about selling the laptop, you shouldn't take too much of a hit if you can land an interested buyer.

good luck.

Think the OP is still within the 2 week return window.

CHSeifert

macrumors 6502
If I understand you correctly you still are within the 2 weeks return option on the MBP.

Do like I do. Sell the MBP and get an iPad 2 and an MBA for the money.

iPad 2 is great for consumption but fall a bit short for extensive typing even with the BT keyboard because of limited screen size and limitations in Pages.

And White is the girl color for iPad, but black never goes out of style :)

You probably could do just fine with your iPhone 4, iPad 2 and iMac. But the MBA will be the crone on the cake - and it's just nice to have 4 devices: iPhone, iPad, iMac and MBA :p

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
>>Think the OP is still within the 2 week return window
>>If I understand you correctly you still are within the 2 weeks return option on the MBP

good catch...i missed the part about her buying it from Apple.

blipper

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2006
Baltimore, Maryland
I have all three: MBP, MBA, and iPad. If I had to have just one, it would probably be the Air, but given the uses you describe I think the iPad would work for you. I like the traditional keyboard on the Air but your uses don't seem to be keyboard intensive and the iPad is a great eBook device.

Fubar1977

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
North Yorkshire, UK
If you can stand spending the money on the MBP then you could maybe squeeze a base model Air plus a base model iPad for not too much more (difference here in the UK is around £240 or so) which is a fair bit but then all bases are covered.
I find an 15"MBP plus a decent external monitor/trackpad etc. plus an iPad is ideal for me, no iMac required.
I would find your current set-up too much hassle (keeping 2 Macs synced).

My wife went iPad only about 8 months ago and is now looking at the 11" Air as a companion for it, nice ultra-portable setup.

Yumunum

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2011
U.S.
Also, I should ask as well: has anybody heard any pros or cons to a black or white iPad? I can't imagine there would be any, but I like both colors so maybe there is something that can help me pick one or the other if I end up going with the iPad? thanks! you guys are the best here, I swear :eek:

I've ends both

The white always looks cleaner due to most dust and decree being white.

The black makes the picture pop more, because of the great black bezel just like your MBP does) but it stays dirtier. (or, appears dirtier)

Use the two in-person and decide what's more important!

karilynn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 30, 2011
Saint Paul, MN
Thank you for the advice, everyone. I am within my 14 days, so I could easily return the MBP. I'm heading over to the Apple store shortly to check out my options. I might get the iPad 2 for now and see how it goes. I know I want one, so in the future, I can add a MBA to my growing collection of Apple products :D if I really do need one. Plus, they are really cool and I never thought about a MBA before - so I need to put more thought into it. Who knows what will happen when I get to the store, though. I get starry eyed and intoxicated by the new computer smell there. I can't be trusted to make logical decisions at the Apple store! haha :)

As far as color, I appreciate that advice as well. White does seem like the ideal choice for women, but black looks so classic to me. We'll see what happens :) definitely getting the green smart cover because it's sooo sexy! :eek:

Thanks again everyone! You've all helped me a lot

BostonBrawler

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2011
The iPad is not an either/or to a laptop. One is a content viewer, and the other, a content creator.

If your only needs are reading documents/articles/textbooks, viewing videos, listening to iTunes, playing games, writing short emails, or using apps - then the iPad is fine.

If your needs consist of alot of text writing, document storage, and other content creation tasks, you should go with a laptop.

Once you start adding wireless keyboards to an iPad, you might as well get an 11" air.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.