iPad vs MacBook Air?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by inott, Apr 7, 2010.

1. inott macrumors member

I have an MBA, and and am about to purchase an iPad. Anybody have an MBA and an iPad who would like to post some fight photos?

Thanks!

2. smoked macrumors regular

They get along nicely. Actually the MBA gets used to create, the iPad to consume. The only places where they currently cross is for mail and calendar, and the iPad is just an occasional player there. The ipad works better for consumption than the iPhone does, but the iPhone is easier for a quick look sort of thing.

Don't expect to do much work on the iPad just yet, in playing around with it you find there's a lot of real world limitations on doing content creation and editing.

3. ks-man macrumors 6502a

The wife uses the MBA and I use the iPad. The iPad is eliminating fights in my house, not creating them. I can't tell you how many arguments we would get into on the couch when we each wanted the MBA to check the internet.

4. Alchematron macrumors 65816

Alchematron

I'm getting a 3G

However I argued heavily for a 10" Air when the Air debuted

I still want a 10" Air!

5. zunairryk macrumors regular

I have a macbook air, which i use as my primary computer , and i will be getting ipad as well. I will use ipad mainly for apps, watching tv in bed, reading books/magzines/news papers etc on bus, and a little portable gaming as well. Also, i will be using it to view my lectures in keynote. Calander also looks really cool on ipad, i just can't use calander app on my macbook air, but i think it will be fun making events/ appointments on ipad using fingers :p. Basically the main reason im getting ipad is because of apps, and ease of use.

Almost everything i described can be done on my macbook air, but i think it will just be more fun and better to do things like studying the lectures in keynotes outside. Also im hoping that there will be books available for college students, so i dont have to carry them on me.

I will still use the macbook air for taking notes in class, Watching HD tv shows/movies connected to my 24" monitor, video chat, typing long essays, and everything else that you do on a normal computer like syncing phones, downloading etc. IMO ipad can not replace a laptop or desktop.

I was thinking of selling my macbook air to get a macbook pro, but then again my macbook air does everything i want it to do, and does it really fast. The SSD really make the air fly lol.

6. kultschar macrumors 6502a

Ive had this dilema also, I have an iPad on the way, own a Macbook Air and have an iMac at work.

The Macbook Air is superb for travelling, often thought about upgrading to a Macbook Pro but I don't need the power as I have an iMac and when im on the road the MBA is used for emails, internet, downloads and docs - I love the form factor but now the iPad.................

If the iPad is updated to wifi printing and view network shares (all possible just restricted by Apples software) then I would be tempted to ditch the MBA