iPad Vs Macbook Air

Discussion in 'iPad' started by wrkactjob, Jun 18, 2010.

1. wrkactjob macrumors 65816

wrkactjob

Been offered a Macbook Air for £700 Its 5 months old 128ssd with 2.13 processor, really up to date spec....or I could buy a 3g/wifi iPad at £699.

Isn't it obvious I should get the Air?...would anyone really take the Pad instead?...I have read about issues with some older Airs where video stuters and freezes etc....have these issues been sorted now with the latest generation?

2. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

Assuming its not got any damage on it thats a fantastic price. Do you already have a mac?

3. Maaz macrumors 6502a

4. wrkactjob thread starter macrumors 65816

wrkactjob

Noooo! but like my iphone so much I like probably many others are being weaned to the Mac world ( I no longer plan to upgrade to IP4 and am sticking with my 3G so have cash to spare) ...I'm not bothered about the limited memory as am still looking for an external drive to handle my big itunes library currently on my Thinkpad.

I like the portability of the Air at 13" the screen is a fine size, the SSD should help keep things cool and I'm not a heavy user more an everyday browser. Is the mac system cool with bit torrent and downloading files usually in avi format?....

I forsee a large amount of time being spent with Handbrake!

5. wrkactjob thread starter macrumors 65816

wrkactjob

Why?

6. Tebailey macrumors regular

It doesn't

7. wrkactjob thread starter macrumors 65816

wrkactjob

Oh that's a relief!

8. GreggM3 macrumors 6502

I loved my Air but I also have a 13inch MacBook Pro so it was not needed and I sold it. It depends on use but I would take the Air over the iPad but for me I think I would stick with my iPad 3G.

9. dplxy macrumors regular

10. wrkactjob thread starter macrumors 65816

wrkactjob

Yes your situation is ideal, you have the excellent 13" Macbook Pro and the iPad. If the funds were to hand I would consider that route too!...but with just £700 to hand I am hoping the air will be a happy medium.

11. opera57 macrumors 6502

Yeah for that price the air is definitely the way to go! I personally have exactly the same model and it is great, as long as you are happy with just the one USB port and the lack of optical drive then it's fine! The ssd really makes it fast, in fact my air feels faster in day to day applications like Internet, office, iTunes etc than my 3ghz iMac! [​IMG]

12. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

The Air makes a far better primary computer than the iPad. So if what you need is a primary computer than the Air is a far better choice.

13. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

Have to agree with the above posts. An MBA would be far superior as a primary machine - which iPad simply is not.

14. Maaz macrumors 6502a

Well my cousin said it heats up very easily and is too expensive compared to a MacBook pro

15. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

Is there a reason you are choosing MBA over MB or 13" MBP? Unless the lighter weight is essential to you, the MB and MBP are much better built and more powerful computers. MBA is regarded as an overly priced, low spec'd model that badly needs an update.

You mentioned Handbrake, and I don't think it goes too well with MBA. Google for benchmark of these machines.

16. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

Probably those flash heavy websites (Sorry, I had to.) Never had heating issues.

Note: Used one for a week. Liked it. But it has that damn iSight.

If you don't have a primary computer, get the air.

17. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

I'm assuming it is because he would be getting a 5 month old MBA for £700. That is a pretty good deal.

18. ooo macrumors 6502

It depends on your usage. An air is not an iPad and an iPad is not an air. They have different uses. When I'm on a plane or on a sofa, I want to take out my iPad to do some light browsing and reading. When I'm on my air, I'm ready to do some work. Typing and multitasking are definitely better on an air. I guess it really depends on your needs. I love my iPad and I loved my air.

19. mrgossett macrumors 6502

I have both. I love my iPad, but I still use my Air (SSD) just as much as before I got the iPad. I use the Air for Keynote presentations and any kind of regular computing work. The iPad is great for travel, web surfing, e-mail, games, and reading books. They both have their function. I wouldn't swap the Air for any other laptop.

20. abriwin macrumors member

I bought an iPad for travel as I was tired of waiting for the mba to be updated and didn't want to get one and then find that a few weeks later the update came along.

However, having used the iPad for travel and done a lot of writing on it I wonder at those folks who complain about the size of the screen? Sitting on a plane for 10 hours typing away or reading books on it and there was still power in the battery at the end of the journey. Now if similar technology could be ported over to the mba whether 11.7" or 13" that would sure stop a lot of grumbling about battery power.

I reckon if one does come along it will have a uniform thickness like the new iPod touch and iPhone, there's no point in making it thinner as it would then become too fragile whatever material used, liquid metal or carbon fibre.

Nothing wrong with an 11.7" screen for travelling after all the 12" Powerbook was fine and loads of folks bemoaned it's passing.

As to memory expansion from the measly 2gb of the mba I don't understand why the same technology as used on the little Acer Aspire One can't be used? An SD slot for memory expansion and another for storage, that would solve the problem of ports on an mba. After all, SD sizes seem to be increasing all the time. That would certainly solve the problem of having to open the machine to increase memory, then we could be able to increase the memory as SD sizes increase, 4,8,16Gb ....

21. mikechan1234 macrumors 6502

When was this MBA update?

22. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Hard decision between an MBA and an iPad. Both have their pros and cons.

If I had a good desktop/laptop (base system), then I think I would opt for the iPad due to the benefits that it provides.

Bottom line, it all depends on what you need to do as to which is best.

I think he was speaking rhetorically.

23. xokimwhiteox macrumors member

If all you're going to be doing is browsing and small things like that I'd get the iPad. That is a great price for a MBA though, those things are expensive.

24. mikechan1234 macrumors 6502

MBA specs are pretty out of date. Better off getting an iPad

25. Airforcekid macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

GET THE AIR IT WILL LAST YEARS IPAD MAYBE A YEAR TOPS!