ipad vs macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by macfellow :), Sep 11, 2010.

1. macfellow :) macrumors newbie

Im going to start saving some cash here pretty soon i was debating on wich to buy im in high school so i do a good bit of word processing but thats really it the rest is internet research so whats better i may end up going with the macbook just cause i think it would be better in the long run.

but yea whats some feedback on the newmacbooks and ipad's

2. AppleCode macrumors regular

AppleCode

I would recommend the macbook, because it will last you a long time, you may find there is other thing you want to do with your ipad once you get it. research is easier copy and paste switching applications (right now). Its still depend on what you want to do with it. I personally think a macbook is better for high school and university. However its your

money and Im sure you'll make the best decision for you

3. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

Yeah, at the moment I just don't think tablets are powerful enough for creating content (i.e. word processing etc) and things like that, so the MacBook would be better imo, but it's your choice!

BTW, this thread might be better off in the 'Buying Tips & Advice' section of the forums...I'm not sure.

4. franky2012 macrumors newbie

5. Blondie :) macrumors 6502a

Blondie :)

I'd just go with a MacBook man. It's basically the same principle with anything, you can always get an iPad later if you decide you don't need as much as a MacBook, but it always sucks coming up with more cash to get a MacBook if you don't like the iPad :p haha

6. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

I have both and both are amazing. Realistically, you'll be too limited with the iPad. It would be a great tool for taking to class for notes and surfing the web but school is all about collecting and organizing data. The iPad is a great supplement but you should really have a computer.

7. Messy macrumors 6502

Agree with most, iPads are funky and all, but they are only worth it when you have another computer.

Go for the MacBook.

I picked up a 13" MB, Dual Core 1.83, 2gb RAM, 160GB in good condition for £290 off eBay :)

8. JustsomedudeIRL macrumors member

9. Applepi macrumors 6502a

Applepi

I bought the iPad on launch day with hopes of it replacing my Macbook. It was cool for a week but it got extremely tiresome to use. Don't get me wrong, the iPad is a great device - it just isn't "there" yet.

10. tpg macrumors regular

The way I see it, the iPad is an expensive toy for the majority of people. You're right to think the macbook is better in the long run - it is a far more versatile device! Plus, unless you get a separate keyboard chances are you'll never type as fast on the iPad screen as you would on a macbook.

11. 1rottenapple macrumors 65816

:rolleyes: jeez how many threads do we have about this per week?:confused:

12. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

Not everyone is aware of Mroogle.

13. SheldonCooper macrumors newbie

SheldonCooper

Oh man. Haha just get a MacBook. You may wan't the iPad now but you'll only use it for about 1 1/2 weeks, well that could just be me. :D Just get a MacBook theres more bang for your buck. :p

14. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

The iPad is really a complementary device. It's my only mobile computer, but I have a computer at home for the serious stuff.

If you don't have a computer which you have access to each day, and sole access at that, then you'd definitely be better off with the Macbook.

15. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

Owning a proper computer is a prerequisite to owning an iPad—much like owning an iPhone or iPod, for that matter.

I would get the cheapest MacBook and the cheapest Kindle.

16. jrzyguy27 macrumors newbie

i had an ipad for two days and just returned it and got the macbook for $999... much better and much more useful.. reco the macbook!