iPad vs MBA

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Sa1en, Mar 30, 2012.

1. Sa1en, Mar 30, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2012

Sa1en macrumors member

Sa1en

Greetings to everyone.

I become an Apple user from last Dec and for now on have iMac 2011 & iPhone 4S.

But now I wanna to feel something new and cant decide which one should I buy: MBA 13" or iPad 2? (maybe iPad3, but 5hours charging annoying, isnt it?)

I am programmer, but usually working on my iMac. So, thing which Im buying should be just portatable. Im not planning to do hard tasks on it, only web-surf, email stuff, movies, skype.

So, Dear Community, how do you think? Advice me please, share your experience

Can you explain your decision if what?
    If it will be ipad, 2 or 3? With 3G or without?

MBA - 11 or 13? (my iMac is 21.5)

Because, I think I have mini-pad which is an iPhone but same with MBA - I have it bigger brother - iMac.

Tnx for reply.

Sorry for my English ;X

P.S. And yes, Im afraid that if I buy an iPad - iPhone will becomes just a phone (too expensive "phone"). Or iPad would be just a toy.. :X

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

An iPad is NOT a replacemnt for a laptop. If you want proper file management facilities then the Macbook Air is a better bet. Remember the iPad is an IOS device. I own both, but they are for different things. If I had to choose just one, it would be the MBA.

3. Sa1en thread starter macrumors member

Sa1en

Worst thing that I dont really know, MBA lives not so long as iPad.. But have more functionality.

Usually Im at home so I even dont realy need "portatable" device, but ..

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

The MBA is fully functional though...And they do last...A 256GB 13" which is what I have is a great tool...So is the iPad, but I don't use the iPad much for work purposes. I workshop song ideas etc. on it, but my MBA MBP and iMac do the "Real" work, leaving the ipad3 for entertainment, web surfing, movies that kind of thing.

If you don't need to do any work on it, then the iPad is great, and there are many apps that will allow you to manage PDF's etc. For music, games etc. it's great. Just my 10c worth...:)

5. Sa1en thread starter macrumors member

Sa1en

I see, thx!

Now Im thinking what I have done when bought iMac, maybe I should buy MBA + Apple Thunderbolt Display.. Heh.

6. spice weasel macrumors 65816

I agree. If you want to be able to do everything you currently do on your iMac but have it be portable, then get a MacBook Air. But if you only care about surfing the web, checking email, reading, watching movies, and that sort of thing, then the iPad is the way to go. It's cheaper than the MBA, and the availability of fantastic cheap or free apps make it a completely different user experience.

FWIW, I have a 27" iMac, a 11" MacBook Air, and the new iPad. Since getting the iPad, I haven't even used the Air.

7. Sa1en thread starter macrumors member

Sa1en

Thanks!

I'm afraid that you not using MBA now because you just bought iPad :)

Usually tablet should be enough for me, but when I will have to do some heavy task outside the door, I will hate iPad. Damn it, I know that it's rarely, but still..

8. Sa1en thread starter macrumors member

Sa1en

Guys, and okay, if I choose MBA, should I choose 11" or 13" ? If I have at home 21.5" iMac?

9. jetblk328i macrumors 6502

iPad is not a substitute for the MBA at all. However, with that said, my ipad has cut my MBP usage by at least 50%. I don't do a lot of intensive tasks though.

10. njean777 macrumors 6502

Go with the 11in air, it will be better then an ipad.

11. Sa1en thread starter macrumors member

Sa1en

Thanks for answers. Too bad there are no any apple stores in my country. But will think about 11 air now