iPad vs Surface Pro 2 vs MBA vs rMBP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Squilly, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Squilly macrumors 68020

Squilly

I am having a hard time deciding between the Surface Pro 2, actual laptops and iPad (disregarding prices). Three of which run a full fledged OS while the other is meant to be on a mobile operating system with less productivity. I want the best of both worlds while still having the ability to game a little bit and get productive with my tablet. Getting to be an increasingly difficult decision for me as the best of both worlds isn't here yet. iPad is really tempting with T-Mobile's free 4G but semi-lacking OS (and modest upgrade with no Touch ID or improved camera) while the Surface is really tempting because of it's full-fledged OS but awful battery life and bulkiness. Both Macs are tempting as they allow me to boot-camp if need be, are relatively light, allow productiveness although there's no touch screen. Which route should I take? Been all over changing my mind the past two days with which I want to go with.

2. Tfb macrumors member

Do you have a computer at all? I tend to think everyone should have a computer nowadays, or at least steady access to one.

If not, then I would go for the MBA 11". You won't sacrifice much portability or battery life and will be able to do everything.

If you do, then you *really* don't need a computer and you would absolutely know that because you would never be deciding *between* a tablet and a computer. So then you should get the iPad because you don't need the computer aspects of the Surface and you'll enjoy the iPad much more.

3. Squilly thread starter macrumors 68020

Squilly

I'm leaning towards the iPad as it's ultra portable. I have a gaming desktop although it's not exactly portable.