iPad vs Updated Touchpad ?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by OSMac, Nov 9, 2011.

1. OSMac macrumors 65816

Noticed the local for sale listings
    are starting to show HP Touchpads at decent prices.

Seen a 16GB for $150 and a 32GB at $210.

I think engadget reported HP has released a couple updates recently,
    how does it compare now to a iPad for mainly web and email,
    worth the used current prices?

2. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

I have a 16 GB HP touchpad that I got for $100 during the fire sale.

It is an inferior product to the Ipad 2. I would also say that the iPad 1 beats it for web browsing (nicer graphics chip).

In terms of the OS, WebOS has soooooo much potential... its a shame that they aren't actively developing it anymore. Multitasking, notifications, and window management are better than iOS and Android.

They also have a cool link-to-your-phone feature which lets you take calls on the tablet (only works with the Pre, and its been hacked to work with some Android phones)

Android still lets you do more than WebOS and the WebOS app market is *tiny* compared to Android market and iOS app store.

Is the Touchpad worth $150? Yes. The Touchpad is a way better deal than other similarly priced tablets (Nook colors and Kindle fires, etc).

If I had to buy one tablet, would it be a Touchpad? Mmmmm, only if I were on a budget. There are too many things its not all that great at doing (playing movies, managing photos properly)

3. psonice macrumors 6502a

It compares very poorly (I have an iPad 2 + touchpad). But if the price difference is high, and you only want to use web + email, it's definitely good enough.

I'd say an iPad should be seriously considered anyway though, because the touchpad is limited by lack of apps, whereas there's a ton of stuff you can do on the iPad with a quick visit to the app store. You'd be missing out on a lot.

4. OSMac thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for the comments.

Sounds like it might be worth considering as a hold over till the next iPad release in the Spring, and would have little to lose in the resale market at a $150 entry price...

5. psonice macrumors 6502a

Yeah, that sounds like a reasonable plan. I can't see it losing a huge amount of value, so you'll have a tablet for the next however many months for almost nothing :)

6. zosobao5150 macrumors member

The touchpad, with the latest OS updates is actually nice and quick. Make sure you overclock it.

The HP app store is still out there and they have some basic apps. If you are into games and want the latest and greatest, go with an ipad, but the touchpad is great for email and quick web browsing. I have an ipad 1 and picked up a touchpad on clearance. The family has taken over the ipad and I get the touchpad to use. Does its job nicely. Not sure I would pay a premium for them.

In the near future, you can also install Android.

7. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

I have an HP Touchpad (32GB) that I picked up during the firesale. We have a love/hate relationship. Literally almost ever day I find myself wanting more from the tablet, but I am not sure what I'm yearning for- apps, I guess.

The new update (3.0.4) is fast, and much faster with all tweaks and overclocked (1.5GHz myself).

I have Android on it and while this is neat, it is widely a novelty- even the presumably dead webOS is so superior to Android on a tablet.

Here's a brief comparison from my notes while trying to decide what I should do/sell:

HP Touchpad

Pros:
    Already own it (value ~$230)
    Can run Android (2.x.x)
    Camera/Bluetooth/mic
    webOS multitasking/interface
    Flash in browser
    Overclockable/tweaks
    32GB

Cons:
    Battery life is poor
    Dead app store/lack of apps
    webOS shortcomings
    Heavy/plastic
    Probably dropped by HP

Apple iPad (1)

Pros:
    Apple ecosystem
    Best app store
    Familiarity/simplicity
    Expanding/upgradable OS
    Metal/sturdy case
    Can jailbreak

Cons:
    Old hardware/slow
    No camera(s)
    Dropped at iOS 6, presumably
    Sort of heavy
    Most expensive upgrade (~$100)
    Presumably 16GB

8. szolr macrumors 6502

An iPad 2 will trounce a Touchpad in power/performance etc. It's also more intuitive and fun. Need I say more?