iPad Warranty -- when does it start ticking?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by kylera, Jun 4, 2011.

1. kylera macrumors 65816

kylera

How does Apple determine when the yearlong limited warranty kicks in? I mean, it's almost taken 3 weeks for them to deliver my iPad (arriving on June 7!) and I pray that those 3 weeks aren't shaved off?

2. sm.wilson macrumors member

Your warranty starts the day the unit is purchased(retail with serial numberl inked)/activated(Non-apple outlet/delivery). Expect your warranty to start the day you activate it in iTunes.

3. kylera thread starter macrumors 65816

kylera

So since mine is delivered, theoretically I could leave it sitting in a box for four months without activating, and after then, the warranty would start ticking?

4. SDub90 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

I think when you order through apple it's the delivery date and when you order through a reseller it's the shipment date. Apple definitely wouldn't deduct the lead time from your warranty. I don't think they actually can - which is why they charge you when it's shipped, not when it's ordered.

5. nickbarbs macrumors regular

Correct.

I had an Iphone 3GS 32gb that i bought last year around October but never opened it. Gave it to my sister february of this year and activated it, warranty was from Itunes activation date ... so 4 months warranty was dormant.