iPad+Whistle+GoogleVoice=Not Working

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Cursor, Oct 12, 2010.

1. Cursor macrumors 6502

Cursor

So I'm trying to use Google Voice (via Whistle) on my 16Gb 3G iPad, and when I call my Google Voice number it says "The subscriber you are trying to call is not available...".

I'm not sure why, but Google Voice wanted to forward all calls to another number, so I put in my home number.

Anybody have this setup working successfully? Where does Whistle fit in with all of this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I freelance, and I'm hoping to use this setup to receive phone calls from clients when I'm out of the home office.

2. eBalut macrumors newbie

I have google voice and whistle phone working on my 3G iPad. I simply added my whistle phone number to my google voice settings and checked the forwards to box. I found that if I selected mobile or home for the type of phone, it did not work, but selecting work did. However, that also means that the voice message feature doesn't work (only available if you select mobile for the phone type). But, I also don't have my google voice number forwarding to my mobile phone perhaps that would help in your case. Hope that helps. I also have textnow working with my google voice number to send and receive text messages from my iPad. Pretty cool.

3. Cursor thread starter macrumors 6502

Cursor

Great! Thanks; it's working. Also, I added the number as mobile in GV, and it'll send and receive texts. That's a bonus, I guess.

Thanks again for all of your help.

4. eBalut macrumors newbie

How about that. You taught me something too. I deleted my real mobile number from google voice and was able to change my whistle phone number to a mobile type. Haven't tried texting to it, as I'm sure it will work, but will stick with textnow for the interface until the google voice app hits the iTunes store (hope it is a universal app for the iPad as well).

5. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

is there a google voice app? I looked on app store but didnt see one..I have whistle working fine by itself and the phone # that whistle gives you works fine. So whats the advantage to using GV with it? I have a GV account just cant find the app.

6. eBalut macrumors newbie

I thought I read somewhere that the official google voice app was going to be approved, but also don't see anything in the app store yet. Perhaps it was referencing 3rd party apps that can interact with google voice; not sure. As to google voice versus whistle phone number, I just prefer to use my google voice number for all my iPad stuff since it has a few more features (like call forwarding and voicemail). Works great with texting app.