Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gosabres1984

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 9, 2010
Charlotte, NC
First of all, I would like to say Hello to everyone, as I am new and this is my first post.

Sorry if this has been asked before, if so someone please provide me a link to the prior discussion and mods please lock this thread.

I just bought a 32GB iPad with Wi-Fi (No 3G), my question is this...On the iPhone available Wi-Fi networks pop-up and alert me when I'm out and about, does the iPad do this or is mine faulty? Whenever I want to connect to or find an available Wi-Fi network, I must go into the iPad setting and search and connect manually, unlike my iPhone which will display to me available networks on the home screen, without going into settings.

Thanks.

Macdicted

macrumors regular
Jan 22, 2010
NYC > Tampa Bay
No it doesnt.... "pop up"....have to go to settings.

I have a different question , what kind of range does wifi have ?

I was at the parents all weekend and sat about 40ft from the router wich was in their office and the signal (1 bar and had to refresh connection several times) along with the speed...... sucked ! :confused:

I didnt notice it at home as my router is in the family room with me. Well when I got home I checked my router as well and the same thing. What is the range of the wifi ? 40ft isnt far and if this is normal i'll be returning mine for a 3g model. The range on mine is terrible.

gosabres1984

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 9, 2010
Charlotte, NC

I was at the parents all weekend and sat about 40ft from the router wich was in their office and the signal (1 bar and had to refresh connection several times) along with the speed...... sucked ! :confused:

I didnt notice it at home as my router is in the family room with me. Well when I got home I checked my router as well and the same thing. What is the range of the wifi ? 40ft isnt far and if this is normal i'll be returning mine for a 3g model. The range on mine is terrible.

Hmm...well that's weird. You would think available Wi-Fi's would pop-up...the iPhone does.

antiprotest

macrumors 68040
Apr 19, 2010

Have you tested the broadcast distance of the routers?

My 64GB 3G, with 3G turned off, gets excellent WIFI reception.

I have not been able to walk far enough yet to get less than full bars, so I cannot tell you the range.

Macdicted

macrumors regular
Jan 22, 2010
NYC > Tampa Bay
Hmm...well that's weird. You would think available Wi-Fi's would pop-up...the iPhone does.

I know , mine has been turned on (ask to join) and nothing has poped up :confused:

Have you tested the broadcast distance of the routers?

My 64GB 3G, with 3G turned off, gets excellent WIFI reception.

I have not been able to walk far enough yet to get less than full bars, so I cannot tell you the range.

Well I can tell you both my parents laptops worked fine sitting in the same room. Also my laptop works fine everywhere in my home. Maybe its just my iPad or its a wifi thing ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.