iPad Wifi issue after ios 4.2.1

Discussion in 'iPad' started by rockinred, Nov 30, 2010.

1. rockinred macrumors member

Has anyone else noticed a significantly slower wifi connection since new ios release? I know there is some talk and I have tried the majority of the alleged fixes, but I still noticed a huge decrease. I have a 20meg connection and my Macbook's gets around a 15-17meg download on average and since new upgrade the iPad is running 5-8meg max. Prior to the update the iPad was on average 10-12 consistently. This is a big deal, because the majority of my iPad usage is for internet browsing on the couch, etc...

Anyone else come up with a good fix or know the reason for that big of a drop? Thanks!

2. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

I noticed my 3G connection at home was significantly poorer last night - couldn't get decent BBC iPlayer video playback.

Don't know if this was due to a network issue or down to the weather - will need to see if it improves again...

3. RadioGru macrumors newbie

I've had all sorts of WiFi problems since doing the update.

Annoyingly my iPad stopped auto joining my home network which meant diving into the settings menu each time to connect.

Also the WiFi on the coach that I commute on was next to useless having been fine before!

Did a fair amount of searching and the solution seems to be to power cycle your router and also reset all the network settings in the settings menu.

Also power cycle the iPad.

After doing all of that everything seems to have returned to normal.

If you look on the Apple Support pages there's more than a few people with the same problems!

4. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

For me, my iPad, iPhone 4 and Apple TV2's WiFi speed depends on what type of 802.11 speed the router(Thompson's O2 Wireless III) is set at.
    When it's set to N(the fastest in theory), my iPad's WiFi speed is terrible - regardless of what channel it's set to or automatic.
    When set to G(or even b/g), the connection is fast - HQ videos load almost instantly, and the white/grey buffering bar fills up satisfyingly.

YMMV.

5. trsnrtr macrumors 6502

trsnrtr

I was one to report that subjectively, my wifi appeared to be worse after 4.2. However, Speed Test shows that not only is it normal, but possibly improved.

My problem may have been a temporary one of bandwidth over the Thanksgiving break with heavy usage in my area.

6. MsMerryMac macrumors regular

I have had the same issues with the upgrade and even after trying all suggested fixes across many forums, I am still stuck with painfully slow page loads. I only had the iPad a month before the upgrade so it was still really fresh in my mind how incredibly fast the page loads were prior. I really hope they come out with a fix - last night some of my attempts were actually timing out. We have an excellent internet speed and nothing else from MBP to iPod touch was still functioning superbly. Frustrating.

7. Jxo177 macrumors newbie

I had a small wifi issue, but a full power cycle solved it. Let the pad drain to 0% so it shuts itself off, then do a full charge. Solved my wifi and battery issues!