Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sheepopo39

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 18, 2008
I know that this is a documented issue. My iPad is one of the devices affected with the weak wifi problem and the Internet on it is practically unusable. I can get it to work for about 10 minutes, then the signal drops and any Internet activity takes ages.

Anyways, I'm wondering if anyone has found any fixes to these issues?

pondie84

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2008
Turning brightness up is meant to help. Otherwise you just need to wait like the rest of us.

Figbash Acrobat

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2009
Alphaville
WiFi issues? On the iPad??

Seriously though, check here for a slew of "workarounds" but no fixes, persay:
http://discussions.apple.com/forum.jspa?forumID=1363

What improved wifi for me was dropping the belkin router, returning the Airport Extreme and buying the Linksys E3000. Much better signal range. For me, using the 2.4 GHz band and 20MHz channels proved to be better than the 5 GHz and 40MHz ones. This isn't typical for everyone though.

Figbash Acrobat

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2009
Alphaville
explain to me how turning up the brightness makes wifi better? :confused: i dont get that

Well, first off, I didn't say that. You quoted the wrong person. But it sounds like one possible reason wifi signal seems weak on the iPad is that it's trying to conserve battery power. Therefore turning brightness up increases the amount of power it's using, and somehow the wifi reception is boosted. Don't ask me about the science of it, because that's not what I do. But that seems to be consensus regarding brightness....

ArmCortexA8

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
Terra Australis
I have the iPad 64gb purchased in Australia, and when I was using it with my Apple Airport Extreme base station (2006 model) with no dual band or gigabit Ethernet support, it was running on WPA2 (AES) on the WiFi N (B/G compatible setting), and would randomly drop connection despite full signal strength.

The wireless signal icon on the ipad would flicker when it disconnected and reconnected. It only started doing this the last week, and the Apple Airport Extreme was running for 3 years 24/7 and never missed a beat, but in the last week the wireless drops affecting all devices got worse and nothing had physically changed. It was a sign it needed to be laid to rest.

So I bought the latest Apple Airport Extreme, used the same WPA2 (AES) encryption, have dual bands enabled which apparently cause problems, and no wireless device has dropped connection, I watch the iPad wireless icon like a hawk, and it has never dropped since replacing the router. This sees to indicate the issue may be hardware related.

Figbash Acrobat

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2009
Alphaville
I have the iPad 64gb purchased in Australia, and when I was using it with my Apple Airport Extreme base station (2006 model) with no dual band or gigabit Ethernet support, it was running on WPA2 (AES) on the WiFi N (B/G compatible setting), and would randomly drop connection despite full signal strength.

The wireless signal icon on the ipad would flicker when it disconnected and reconnected. It only started doing this the last week, and the Apple Airport Extreme was running for 3 years 24/7 and never missed a beat, but in the last week the wireless drops affecting all devices got worse and nothing had physically changed. It was a sign it needed to be laid to rest.

So I bought the latest Apple Airport Extreme, used the same WPA2 (AES) encryption, have dual bands enabled which apparently cause problems, and no wireless device has dropped connection, I watch the iPad wireless icon like a hawk, and it has never dropped since replacing the router. This sees to indicate the issue may be hardware related.

What are your settings? Are you using G-only? N-only? Maybe explain your specific configuration (5GHz or 2.4GHz, 40 or 20GHz channels, etc.) so that it may help others.

lokerd

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2010
Beaumont
It only started doing this the last week, and the Apple Airport Extreme was running for 3 years 24/7 and never missed a beat, but in the last week the wireless drops affecting all devices got worse and nothing had physically changed.

I find this odd...because I have ahd the SAME exact drop off of connectivity. I had NO problems with my router the first 3 weeks of my use with my 3g...or hte 3-4 weeks with the wifi model.

Then, about 4 days ago, CONSISTENT drops! I can't keep wifi running. Sometimes it will run for a little bit...but more often, it drops out about 5-10 minutes.

If I renew and/or restart the router, I get better run time.

The router is only 1.25 years old.

Macopotamus

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2010
I know that this is a documented issue. My iPad is one of the devices affected with the weak wifi problem and the Internet on it is practically unusable. I can get it to work for about 10 minutes, then the signal drops and any Internet activity takes ages.

Anyways, I'm wondering if anyone has found any fixes to these issues?

I am waiting for an answer myself, I can not reliably connect to anything unless I am physically next to a router.

lokerd

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2010
Beaumont
Brightness adjustment tip helps me!

Figbash Acrobat said:
Don't ask me about the science of it, because that's not what I do. But that seems to be consensus regarding brightness....

VERY interesting. I just checked this tip about the brightness...and it DEFINITELY. Helps me. I have done it twice and it immediately forced the wifi signal to popup.

I think it is acting as a catalyst to prompt it to "wake" up. I don't have to leave it up bright. I have sb settings...and I simply slide across the status bar, touch the brightness and slide up, slide down, and the wifi network instantly reappears.

Another interesting detail is that for the past few days, maybe the same number of days as my wifi has been messing up, my birightness slider has been stuck in the middle. Everytime I go to adjust it, it is in the middle even though it is not that dim.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

ArmCortexA8

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
Terra Australis
I find this odd...because I have ahd the SAME exact drop off of connectivity. I had NO problems with my router the first 3 weeks of my use with my 3g...or hte 3-4 weeks with the wifi model. Then, about 4 days ago, CONSISTENT drops! I can't keep wifi running. Sometimes it will run for a little bit...but more often, it drops out about 5-10 minutes. If I renew and/or restart the router, I get better run time. The router is only 1.25 years old.

All my devices in the house were randomly losing connection, not just the iPad. I wouldn't buy a whole new router if only the iPad had issues. The fact was multiple laptops and devices were losing connection as well randomly. Web pages that were struggling to appear via the modem worked perfectly via Ethernet on multiple systems.

I also added my SSID to the Wireless servings under Clieny ID, and this itself seemed to minimise drop outs. My iPad has never dropped connection since the new extreme router on dual band.

MrWillie

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2010
Starlite Starbrite Trailer Court
I set a static IP address on mine, no more problems. I believe what is happening is the iPad is shutting down wifi after a very short time of inactivity, then when you go to use it again, it has to reconnect.

ArmCortexA8

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
Terra Australis
I set a static IP address on mine, no more problems. I believe what is happening is the iPad is shutting down wifi after a very short time of inactivity, then when you go to use it again, it has to reconnect.

Mines on dynamic and always has been, no problems of drop outs on new extreme.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.