IPad wifi lag?

AppleStart2013

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 6, 2013
I’m not sure if other people noticed this issue too with their iPads, but generally I find that when I am away from my iPad for a few minutes or not using the web (using other apps on my iPad like word) the internet hangs and lags when I use the internet browser again and would not load new webpages. Most of the time I need to reset the connection in order for the wifi to work again.

I’ve owned the iPad 4, 2017 9.7 inch iPad, and now iPad Air 3 and I’ve noticed this on my last 2 iPads. Does anyone else have this issue? It isn’t the end-of-the-world but it’s just a minor annoyance when I use my iPad to do work.

ericwn

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2016
No, this hasn’t been my experience at all so far. Have you tried this in another location, just to rule out your local wifi network?

flaubert

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2015
Portland, Oregon
When you say you need to "reset the connection", does this mean you go into Settings > WiFi and then manually forget the network and then re-connect with entering the password? Or do you just turn WiFi off and back on again, like going into Airplane mode and back out? Actually, just writing that out makes me think that needing to do either of those is ridiculous, I've never experienced a need to do anything like that on any of the iPad or iPhones I've owned. I would second ericwn's suggestion, to try this out at a trusted network of a friend or family member. The fact that this happens across several generations of devices makes me suspect a misconfigured router/access point at your home.

Another thought: many times what we perceive as lag is caused by poorly performing DNS lookup. You could consider downloading Cloudflare's 1.1.1.1 app, which will replace your ISP's DNS server with an encrypted tunnel to Cloudflare's DNS server, which is both more private and faster.

AppleStart2013

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 6, 2013
When you say you need to "reset the connection", does this mean you go into Settings > WiFi and then manually forget the network and then re-connect with entering the password? Or do you just turn WiFi off and back on again, like going into Airplane mode and back out? Actually, just writing that out makes me think that needing to do either of those is ridiculous, I've never experienced a need to do anything like that on any of the iPad or iPhones I've owned. I would second ericwn's suggestion, to try this out at a trusted network of a friend or family member. The fact that this happens across several generations of devices makes me suspect a misconfigured router/access point at your home.

Another thought: many times what we perceive as lag is caused by poorly performing DNS lookup. You could consider downloading Cloudflare's 1.1.1.1 app, which will replace your ISP's DNS server with an encrypted tunnel to Cloudflare's DNS server, which is both more private and faster.
Spent the past few days troubleshooting and i think it’s more the router dropping. Apple would disconnect from the network if there was no internet connection while my other devices stayed connected even if wifi wasn’t connected to the internet. I have no problems with the iPad in areas where I know there is strong reliable wifi.