All iPads iPad wifi only vs with cell service

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Four oF NINE, Oct 28, 2014.

1. Four oF NINE macrumors 68000

Four oF NINE

is there any reason to get cell enabled iPad if you mainly use it at home with wifi available?

2. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

If your iPad is only going to stay home on wifi then it's probably not worth it for you. The iPad Air was my first cellular iPad and I love being able to take it with me and it has come in handy a few times when my internet was on the blink.

3. KevinC867 macrumors 6502a

If you *always* use it at home with wifi, then there is clearly no benefit from the cellular model. However, you said you "mainly" use it at home, so it's all about how and where you use it when you're not at home. One of my uses when I'm not at home is on a boat for navigation and communication. The GPS and cellular functions are definitely a requirement there. :)

4. Stein357 macrumors 6502

In my opinion, with how portable the iPad is, it cripples it to not have data on the go.

5. melman101 macrumors 68030

I can not use my iPhone for a hotspot because I'm still on unlimited data for AT&T, so the iPad can be used as a hotspot if desired. (I believe). I'm still rocking an iPad 2 which definitely can't do it.

I'm waiting for my iPad Air 2 to be delivered. But I made sure to get the cell model for the rare occasions that I will need it.

6. donnaw macrumors 65816

For most people who never leave home with it it's probably not worth it.

But I've found two instances where I was very glad I had it at home. One was when I was t my sister's house and we had a very bad storm, tornados etc. We lost electricity and had no way of keeping track of the storm (yes, she should have a radio but doesn't). I used my cell service, which still worked well and we knew when to go to the cellar.

The second was just last month when the box outside our home that controls our TV/Internet blew out. We were without service for 3 days while they tried to fix it. Sorry to say that we are addicted to information. With our iPads we were able to stream some news, access the web, get email, etc. I know we should be able to survive just 3 days with no tech but in these days it's hard. So glad we had cellular iPads and ATT had just upped our shared plan to 30 gigs of data.

I always but cellular, mostly because I travel a lot, but I really don't think I want a wifi only. But that's just me. I prefer options. Plus with T-Mos free 200mv of data every month at least Find My IPad will work too.

7. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

That's how I feel and that's why this time I opted for a cell model. It's one of those things that you don't use too often but when you need it you really need it and are quite glad to have it. IMO, I wouldnt get an iPad again without cell data.

8. Angler, Oct 28, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2014

Angler macrumors regular

I agree as well. My wife convinced me that I didn't need the cellular model this time around. So I ordered the wifi only didn't even keep it for 18 hrs before returning it and getting the cellular version. IMO it's a flawed design with out it. They should all come that way. After all it's supposed to be a portable device to be used anywhere.

9. txa1265 macrumors 6502a

txa1265

Once I got a cellular iPad, I couldn't go back ... had the Mini WiFi and really missed the cell service.