iPad wifi or iPad 3g

Discussion in 'iPad' started by wesley38, May 28, 2010.

1. wesley38 macrumors newbie

Hi guys,
    I don't know which model should i get. First of all, I only think I'll use it mostly in indoors where I have wifi connection. Secondly, I travel a lot overseas because I study aboard so I go home every 2 months, where I won't use iPad roaming data because its too expensive. Plus I jailbroken my iphone to get the tethering ability. I know I only need the wifi. However, I have always thought that i'm not utilizing iPad's full capability, which one do you guys recommend?
    Thanks,
    Wesley

2. pfft macrumors regular

It's difficult to recommend due to different peoples requirements.

You appear to have answered your own question in your post.

3. G5Unit macrumors 68020

G5Unit

Considering that the addition of 3G is not THAT much extra money, I would go for the 3G. Then, you will always have the option to buy a month or two of service when you need it; and when you don't you'll still have WIFI.

4. dstar macrumors regular

If it were me i'd get the 3G and when abroad get a sim card from a local provider for service.

I tether too but having the convience when batteries are low is nice. And yea, I do have external batteries that can last a long time, but sometimes it just becomes a pain in the ass.

5. nalk7 macrumors regular

Get the wifi, I'm a foreign student in the US and I went for the wifi version. I'm home for the summer, and a jail broken iPhone for tethering is more than enough. Use the extra $130 on a larger storage and the USB adaptor ;)

6. antiprotest macrumors 65816

antiprotest

7. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

64GB too. :cool:

8. weezer160 macrumors regular

Yeah, everybody's needs are different. If you're on the road and don't want to rely on third party wifi, then the 3G is your better option. If you're a student and go between campus and home, both of which have wifi, then you could save yourself the money and get the wifi. 3G is definitely a luxury version because you have Internet just about everywhere you go, plus the $30 a month when and if you need it.

9. barkomatic macrumors 68040

3G. You get the option of cellular connectivity *and* true GPS. MyWi isn't as fast and it eats of my iPhone's battery very quickly. Glad I got the 3G.

10. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

We must not be going to the same places... :rolleyes:

11. SCOTTGAZ9 macrumors regular

SCOTTGAZ9

I went for 3G simply due to the fact I intend to take to work,elsewhere it's pretty much on wifi and i have 50 Meg in the house so runs pretty quick;)

12. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

And a BMW. And 2 Rolexes. And a trophy wife.

13. wesley38 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone, so most of you would like to get the 3g right. I think it really depends on different peoples needs, I have actually decided to get the wifi, simply because I will be using it very seldomly. And I have unlimited data plan on my iPhone back home anyways. Why invest on another data plan when you've Already got unlimited data?

14. Macdicted macrumors regular

So what exactly was the purpose of this ?

I'm on my second WiFi and will be returning this one too. I'm sick of the connection problems I've had on both. I do believe they will be resolved when Apple gets off their azz , but I'm tired of waiting and will use this opportunity to have the freedom of choice offered by 3G.

15. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I'm more of a Benz kinda guy... ;)