Ipad wifi signal strength: minimum and testing.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by blow45, Jul 7, 2012.

1. blow45 macrumors 68000

Is there a testing app on the app store for wifi signal strength, or something in the jb community?

Has anyone returned an ipad due to poor signal strength, and if so, how can you make a case for it? How can you show it's bellow threshold.

I've been pretty disappointed with the ipads wifi component. I have an ipad 2, I ve had friends over with ipads, and I 've had another ipad 3 (which i ve returned due to screen issues) in my sitting room, where my circa 2006 imac is. In all of them the signal was much lower than that of the imac, and you could tell from the no of concentric arcs appearing in the wifi signal icon.

But is there a way to test if an ipad has particularly problematic wifi reception?

I would be very interested to know...

(I want to preempt suggestions about dsl speed tests which don't actually test the wifi link itself)

2. bufffilm macrumors 68040

bufffilm

my guess is you'd need to show that the signal on the ipad is markedly lower than another iOS device on the same access point.

make an appointment at your nearest apple store and bring in your ipad. ask to connect it to the same wifi that the store demo units are on and see if your device shows any different.

are you running the latest iOS version? that's probably one of the first things they're going to ask/check too.

3. blow45 thread starter macrumors 68000

thanks buddy! that's probably what I will have to do.

But do you know of any wifi signal checking app, just for my own reference I d like to have one and check these things.

4. vander macrumors member

Also disappointed in wifi ability

I don't know of an app, but there has to be one. But let me add my voice to those disappointed with the wifi capability of my iPad. I've owned both the iPad 2 & currently the new iPad (iPad 3). I notice the inability of the iPad to seek out signals mostly when traveling. My wife using her MacBook Air or her older pro always finds the hotel wifi, when my iPad barely pulls in a signal. It got so bad when traveling in Europe I almost walked into an Apple store and brought my own Air. Now I carry my own mifi device with me so that I can use my iPad. I really love the portability of the iPad as I travel frequently. But I may have to migrate to an Air as carrying a mifi device around just to use my iPad doesn't make sense. In some cities I can rely upon the cell capability, but when I'm in a hotel the built in wifi should work & it doesn't...I'm done complaining!