Ipad- wifi vs 3g? 16 or 32?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ktmaty, Jun 19, 2010.

1. ktmaty macrumors newbie

I am looking to purchase an ipad. I heard that the 3g version had a bad battery life. True or false? Also, for the average user, would a 16gb be enough or is it worth it to pay up for the 32gb version. Thanks!

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

3G has an extra 3G chip so yeah, it does have worse battery life when 3G is turned on. I don't know how much worse though.

What are you planning to put there? How much you have stuff in iTunes now?

3. Moomba macrumors regular

The battery in the 3G iPad is just fine. I've heard there is ~10% extra battery drain when using 3G networks, but my battery lasts for frickin' ever. I use it iPad throughout the day and I see around 20% drain on the batter per day. So on an average week I can go 4-5 days without charging it up again. By comparison I will totally drain an iPhone 3G in less than one day. Since I have the 3G iPad and am not using the phone as much my iPhone only uses maybe 40% of the batter life in a day.

As for the 16 vs 32 I cannot say. I have the 64gb one and have about 60gb free. But I use mine mostly for email and web work as well as remote administration of some servers. I have a 16gb iPhone and it's totally full so it really depends if you are going to be offloading video/audio to the ipad or not. Personally, I like havign plenty of extra room so that if I take a longer trip I can just use it on the plane or anytime I get bored, in addition to doing actual work. When in doubt... get more memory I say!