Ipad will have lightning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpoekGTi

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2012
The Netherlands
It's the metric system which apparently the ENTIRE WORLD uses except the U.S of A. Learn it it's much easier than the how many footsies are there in a yard system.

We learn English you learn Metric plx :p

Afbar1114

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 18, 2012
A meter is 39" so maybe around 8-10". Metric is easier then our system. Military i think uses metric

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
A meter is 39" so maybe around 8-10". Metric is easier then our system. Military i think uses metric
Yes the metric system is easier THAN the standard (US) measurement system. No the military doesn't really use metric for all everyday activities, but do use meters (kilometers) for some navigation and pace count.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
Are you serious?
I was joking.

It's the metric system which apparently the ENTIRE WORLD uses except the U.S of A.
I hear this a lot and I believe it to be incorrect. When I watch BBC shows they are often using miles, pints, stone, pounds, and gallons, so I don't think it's the ENTIRE WORLD except the USA. At the very least the UK uses it too.

What's really confusing is the car stuff, where cars are rated in miles per gallon yet petrol seems to be sold in liters (or "litres" I guess).

The Imperial system is clearly worse than the metric system, but I'd argue that using mixed systems is even worse than using the Imperial system alone!

Kebabselector

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2007
Birmingham, UK
I hear this a lot and I believe it to be incorrect. When I watch BBC shows they are often using miles, pints, stone, pounds, and gallons, so I don't think it's the ENTIRE WORLD except the USA. At the very least the UK uses it too.

What's really confusing is the car stuff, where cars are rated in miles per gallon yet petrol seems to be sold in liters (or "litres" I guess).
The UK went Metric in 1970, however because it confused people (how I do not know) most people carried on using imperial. No one is educated with imperial measurements anymore, but in day to day life we use both.

Our petrol is sold in Litres, fuel figures for cars are still Mpg - also for speed and distance we still use Mph and miles.

Weight was mostly mixed, though EU rulings meant people were forced to display metric measurements - then the likes of the Daily Mail kicked up a fuss so that was relaxed - mostly food weight is displayed in metric, things like milk are still referred to as pints so is beer (in pubs).

For our weight we still generally use imperial - when babies are born parents never say oh little johnny was 3.4kg.

You do get used to it.

Last edited:

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
I just hope that they come out with a new version of the camera connection kit for these lightning equipped iPads.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
the iPad version released in Spring 2013 will for sure have the same new connector; the 1m$ question is: what happen to the iPad Mini and revised iPad. The mini would get the new plug; in case of a potentially revised 2012 model I'm really not sure (but guess it would not)

28Gauge

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2011
DFW
The kind that is used by pretty much the entire world. The kind that is more precise, more consistent, and easier to learn.
Very true. I remember back in the 1970's, the US tried to introduce the metric system in everyday life. They also began teaching it when I was in school. For whatever reason, it never caught on. I really wish that it had since the metric system is so much more straightforward.

Status
Not open for further replies.